How to Easily Jailbreak Your Old Nintendo Wii

softmod the wii

Now that the Wii-U is out, there isn’t much use for that old Wii you have laying around is there? Wrong! You can turn your old Wii into a total Nintendo entertainment center by jailbreaking it. The form we’ll cover in this tutorial is called a SoftMod, and it will only take a few minutes to completely crack open the Wii and give you complete control over the console. To get started, you’ll need just a few things.

• 1GB SD card (non-SDHC if possible)
  • Computer with internet connection & SD card reader.
  • Wii console
  • Wii firmware version 4.3 (open the Wii system options, and this appears at the top-right)

• External USB hard drive, or a large (32GB+) USB thumb drive.

This does not work with Wii-Mini or Wii-U. It is only applicable for the original Nintendo Wii console.

Step 1

Find your Wii’s MAC address. Then visit the [LetterBomb website] and enter in the MAC address to download the customized exploit package. Cut the red wire.

• Keep the checkbox “Bundle the HackMii installer” ticked when using the LetterBomb site.
  • Select the firmware version that matches yours.
  • Your MAC address is listed in the Wii system options. It is located in the menu at  “Internet” (page two), and then under “Console Information.” [video]

find wii mac addressletterbomb gui

Step 2

Format your SD card so that it is FAT32. In Windows, this is very easy to do. Right-click on the SD card drive from My Computer or Windows Explorer and select “Format.” Change the file system option to FAT32, leave the rest of the settings at default, and then click Start.

Related Article:  HumbleBundle Launches Daily-Deal Store

Note: Formatting the card will erase all data that is currently on it. Backup anything, you don’t want to lose before you format.

format the sd cardformat window

Step 3

Download this modpack.

Extract both the modpack and LetterBomb so that the contents of these zip files are on the SD card. Do not save the zip files themselves to the SD card, only the contents.

copy to sd card

Step 4

• Insert the SD card.
  • Open the Wii system messages and browse to yesterday’s messages. The LetterBomb icon should show up. Click it with the Wii remote pointer.

The Wii will install LetterBomb and Hackmii. Once it is done it will ask you to Push 1 on the Wiimote to continue. So follow the instructions onscreen. Install the Homebrew Channel and Bootmii.

insert sd cardletterbomb

hackmii installer

Step 5 (Important)

Make a backup, if something breaks or bricks you’ll be jubilant to have one. This is done through Bootmii. If you left the Hackmii installation settings at their default, you likely installed Bootmii as a boot2. This means to open up Bootmii you’ll need to do it through the Homebrew Channel.

• Open the Homebrew channel and press the Home button on the Wiimote. Launch Bootmii.
  • Bootmii doesn’t use the Wii remote so you’ll need to use the buttons on the console itself for this part. You can also use a Gamecube controller if you have one.
  • Press the power button on the Wii console three times to go to the last option. And then press the reset button to select it.
  • Press reset to choose the first option. Follow what it says on the screen to proceed with creating the backup.
  • The backup is saved to the SD card.
Related Article:  Replace Your Sensor Bar for Cheap with 2 Lit Candles

I suggest you copy the backup files off the of the SD card onto your computer and upload them Dropbox or another backup solution. This way if your Wii ever fails you’ll know where to find them.

run wiimodpack

Step 6

Back in the Homebrew channel, launch the Wii Mod Batch. It should be the first title listed on the screen. It will automatically install everything.

Step 7

Launch Priiloader from the Homebrew channel. It’s the weird looking one with orange text. After it is loaded:

• Push + on the Wiimote to install Priiloader.
  • Next simultaneously hold Rest + Power on the console itself to restart the Wii into Priiloader.
  • Enable the following hacks (and any others you want):
    • Auto press A at health screen
    • Region free everything
    • Block disc updates
    • Block online updates
    • Remove NoCopy Save File Protection

The Wii is now jailbroken and modded out. You can now do just about anything you want with it. One of the suggested things to do is pick up an external USB hard drive (reformatted to FAT32) and connect it to the Wii. We’ll cover that in another article. In the meantime here are a few utilities that are worth downloading to the SDcard or the external hard drive once you set it up. If you save them to the SD card, they can be launched via the Homebrew Channel.

• Wii Backup Manager (for Windows)
    • A must-have Windows application for managing, compressing, decompressing, and burning disc copies of game backups.
  • Neogamma
    • Plays burnt backup discs. (The site is in German, but the plugin is English.)
  • Wiiflow
    • An open-source loader for USB files on an external hard drive.
  • usbloader-emulator-pack
    • This is a pack of emulators and USBloader for running games from a USB drive. Allows you to play NES, SNES, Sega, Gameboy, N64 and other ROMS.
  • usbloaderwbfs
    • same as the above except it’s designed for compressed wbfs files.
Related Article:  Black Friday Deal: Free Super Mario Bros. WII U Game at Old Navy

68 Responses to How to Easily Jailbreak Your Old Nintendo Wii

1. yaxdeedat November 11, 2014 at 9:49 am #

• Nova April 8, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

Still works in 2015… Amazing.

2. kev November 19, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I have a question, do I have to have a 1 GB SD card exactly or it can be more?
    Because you can’t find an sd card that low on GB’s!

• Jack December 21, 2014 at 9:37 am #

No, it can be higher

• jeb April 25, 2016 at 9:46 pm #

probally not the file is probally 1gb

3. Ultra November 22, 2014 at 12:01 am #

well my wii version is 4.2E. will it work?

• Alex December 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

It wouldn’t work. You would have to update your Wii’s software to 4.3E. Once you update it’ll work.

• yolo March 28, 2015 at 7:24 am #

yes it will
      the only problom is to install the homebrew
      just take the files from letter bomb and merage with this (if ther are 2 files that the same make shere that the one from letter bomb will stay)

merage with this
      all the rest is the same
      hope i helped (i got 4.2 and i know this works)

4. Jason January 2, 2015 at 6:37 pm #

Just got an old wii for the little one, and wanted to jailbreak it. Your how to here was rank 1 on google, good job, and I can see why. Thank you sir.

5. nikki January 13, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

How come when i download the letterbomb it keeps saying its unsuccessful

6. Brenda January 25, 2015 at 9:53 pm #

Modded Nintendo wii I have all n64 games sad card and 1 to hard drive I purchased a GameCube controller to play n64 games it will not let me shut down when I’m done playing I have to pull power cord out anything else I can do without pulling out power cord to turn off

7. pelagatos February 18, 2015 at 7:33 am #

Both zip files (modpack+letterbomb) contain an eboot.elf file which are different…

8. ashley March 8, 2015 at 8:51 am #

i fail at step 7,it keeps saying that no password or setting file are found during installing Priiloader.
    what can i do?

• MGII March 22, 2015 at 3:31 pm #

You have to restart the Wii and hold power+rest as it load, to choose to boot it from priiloader. This is the only bad explanation in this, I had to go to another tutorial to figure it out. All the rest is A+, easy to follow and all.

9. dannyv573 March 27, 2015 at 11:35 am #

I have the same question about the boot.elf file. Both zip files contain one. Which do we copy to the sd card?

10. dannyv573 March 27, 2015 at 11:41 am #

Also, which version of 4.3 does it have to be? I have 4.3U.

• yolo March 28, 2015 at 7:20 am #

all vertions of 4.3
      the u just means thats its from usa

11. Chuck March 31, 2015 at 10:21 am #

‘Next simultaneously hold Rest + Power on the console itself to restart the Wii into Priiloader.’

This step doesn’t work for me, When i press Reset and Power, the Wii just switches off, and doesn’t come back on.

• Lucky October 15, 2016 at 6:22 am #

You need to press the reset button by itself first, as you see the screen load (with the squares of the wii home page) then press the reset and power button simultaneously on the console. This should put you on the Prilloader page

12. Kole April 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm #

Wii Mod Batch wont start up.. It does the mounting error thing everytime. Help.

13. Kole April 6, 2015 at 12:28 pm #

Do I need to load a different IOS or something?

14. Brenda April 9, 2015 at 11:06 am #

I have n64 games on modded wii but I can’t save any game progress

15. Teodora April 14, 2015 at 3:05 am #

I need help! I installed homebrew but after I download usbloader what do I do? Put in on the sd card? I tried that and it didn’t appear on homebrew…

16. Jerry April 14, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Hi there

I have installed the Homebrew channel but did not get the Priiloader in orange text. Also I cannot perform the no wii update, no region etc as per your instructions.

How do I copy my Wii disk on to the SD card for game play please?

Sorry for long question. Thanks!

17. Mizuki April 17, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

Do i have to have a wii sd card or does any card works for this?

• Martina April 24, 2015 at 11:34 am #

For me the SDHC card didn’t work, it can be other 🙂

18. Martina April 24, 2015 at 11:31 am #

Thank you, it work… At first i used SDHC card and it didn’t work, then i used card from my phone + adapter and it worked… thx 😀 😀

19. matt May 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm #

I have copied all the files from both Letterbomb & modpack, leaving boot.elf from Letterbomb.
    I have a got new mail from yesterday, which is great, but, when I clicked on it, wii hangs.

I tried restarting multiple times and clicking the email (leaving it for 5-10 min gap), but,no luck.

Did you have any of this instances.

My ver 4.3E.

• Martina May 11, 2015 at 8:43 am #

Maybe if you try to cun different wire on Letterbomb?

• Martina May 11, 2015 at 8:44 am #

Maybe if you try to cut different wire on Letterbomb? Did you try to make the apps folder?

20. Kaz Ewol May 31, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

Do you need to leave the sd card in there after you install homebrew? I only have one, and I use it in my 3ds. I dont want to loose my files for my 3ds, but even if i back them up on my pc, then i would have to be constantly switching my files when i want to play the wii or 3ds. That would be annoying and time consuming, transfering all the wii files to the pc, and 3ds files to the card, then vice versa to play the wii again.

So, as i asked, do you need to keep the sd card in the wii after the installation, or can i get the games i want with a usb drive and only use the sd card to install homebrew?

• Bob June 5, 2015 at 10:35 pm #

Spend 5 bucks and get a second card…

• Kaz Ewol June 6, 2015 at 8:32 am #

WHY THANK YOU I WOULDN’T HAVE EVER THOUGHT OF INCREASING MY STORAGE SPACE AND GETTING A SECOND CARD!! And it’s only 5 dollars?!?!? Wow, I hope I make that money with the job i may or may not have!

Look, I don’t mean to offend you Bob, however i may not have the five bucks to go get one, I may not be able to obtain the 5 bucks for a while. Money can be fairly tight for some people, and it is for me. On top of that, I don’t necessarily have the time or patience to wait for money that i may not even be able to spend on myself, or to actually get myself to a store when i finally do have the five bucks.

Also, i would enjoy an answer to my question simply for the knowledge of it. I enjoy learning technical things such as that, so getting a real answer would be nice. Next time you answer, please give a response that will answer the question. I’m sure most people ask specific questions for a reason. If you feel the need to tell people to go buy something as a quick fix, then make sure at least the question was answered as well. Such an example might look like “Yes… this is how this works… but for a shortcut, you can just buy an extra card for 5 bucks.” That answer is much more productive, as it provides the asker with the knowledge they were seeking, and it gives them an option for a shortcut if they can do it.

I’ll apologize if i offended you any, it’s just comments like these tend to get under my skin. Have a good day however, happy commenting!

• Laura November 13, 2015 at 2:34 pm #

You seems the one offended here, Bob gave a nice answer, and the answer is “you need a second card” 😉 so money for a Wii and a 3ds? why not 5 bucks for a 1gb SD card, have a nice day young padawan.

21. jason June 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

The letterbomb download will always say unsuccessful….?

22. Malosha July 7, 2015 at 5:49 pm #

I followed all steps it restarts and goes to a black screen with 4.3(usa) at the bottom

23. Swiggy July 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

What if I do have a SDHC? I didn’t realize it was one until I got home.

24. Patatron2000 July 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm #

Thank you so much. Clear, straightforward and working!!!

25. Hyoka August 24, 2015 at 11:29 am #

But will this work with the Black/Family Wii?

• Sammyyy August 28, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

He said it only doesnt work on MINI WII and WII-U, so I guess it would works!! try, you wont loose anything thought!

26. Sammyyy August 28, 2015 at 1:40 pm #

Hi!, does my wii can run Wii ISO or i have to create a backup of the game to run it? And what about the Gamecube games?? Thankyou

27. James September 25, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

my screen gets stuck on the letter when i click on it. how do i fix this?

28. Elgrame October 1, 2015 at 4:16 pm #

Do i need a gamecube controller for the hacking process?

29. Wout October 5, 2015 at 10:11 am #

How can I play wii ISO-files with this tutorial? I’m not able to store games on the SD-card because it’s FAT32-formatted… Can I load ISO-files via USB instead?

30. Michael October 11, 2015 at 10:27 am #

My sd card is SDC-16M and i cant format it to fat32 will just fat work?

31. Michael October 11, 2015 at 11:33 am #

tried a diffrent card and it worked, but the homebrew channel just has the bubbles and no icons

• Michael October 11, 2015 at 11:35 am #

I didn’t download the modpack X[

32. Andrew October 16, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

By far the best mod pack and tutorial I’ve used other mods in the past for other Wii systems that I’ve nodded and this by far is the best explanations and best quick mods I’ve ever came across well done and the power reset button hold just turn off your Wii then hold power and reset and it will go into the custon menu to change the settings absolutely well done thank you

33. Daniela November 12, 2015 at 4:48 pm #

When I load the priiloader and try pressing the rest + power it just takes me back to the wii menu, am I doing it wright? As well how would I enable the mods?

• Darkpwnu December 26, 2015 at 8:59 pm #

Yea same, maybe it has something to do with me using an SDHC

34. master splinter November 30, 2015 at 4:03 am #

im trying to use the program and its not working. i cant find the letter bomb on the wii message center/
    thanks for the helpers/ my version is 4.3e

• bmill July 30, 2016 at 10:35 pm #

I’m having the same problem

35. Jack December 12, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

the letter bomb icon doesnt show up and also i replaced the boot file from modpack with letterbombs

36. asmgabber December 28, 2015 at 8:00 am #

Hi. I backed up my nand and completed step 5 I got up to get my controller. My wii went of and won’t turn back on I tried a different psu the red light flashes for a brief moment and goes back off the wii won’t light up or turn on is it totally bricked or is there any key combination to start it up? Cheers

37. Dan The Diamond Minecart December 30, 2015 at 11:16 pm #

Do you have to have an SD card for this? Or an USB would work? Cause my Wii has USB ports…

38. Tatoroboto January 23, 2016 at 6:10 pm #

Made it through step 5 but the WiiMod in step 6 didn’t do anything at all. I manually installed the first item on the list and when it said it had finished installing, it just froze up completely. Power button wouldn’t work to turn the Wii off so I unplugged it, now when I turn it on it just goes to a black screen. Good times.

39. chaney May 13, 2016 at 5:26 pm #

every time I attempt to download the mudpack it somehow gets interrupted in the middle of the download, so I press resume on it since its an option, which once I attempt to unzip it, I get an error saying its an empty zip folder. so is the link to the download broken or am I missing something?

40. Ravi sharma June 11, 2016 at 7:43 am #

Amazing article sir.Thanks for posting.

41. sawdud June 11, 2016 at 2:45 pm #

umm.. this may sound dumb but does this enable free dvd burned games?

42. Jose June 16, 2016 at 6:11 pm #

Hi it won’t let me download the mod pack any suggestions

43. Christian June 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

After step 5 when i go back to the homebrew channel the wii mod batch never comes up what do i need to do

44. cbon July 11, 2016 at 8:23 pm #

The system freezes when I click the letterbomb in the messages. Where am I wrong?

• bobobdd July 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm #

Me too.

• Airtime July 29, 2016 at 9:52 pm #

when you downloaded the letterbomb file, did you enter the MAC address of your wii and choose the right 4.3 version type ie U , E, I etc. after it downloads you extract it to the sd card, make sure its extract to the root of the card and nothing else is in the card.

click on the Wii message to get the letterbomb icon and click and it should go through the process as outlined above.

• Airtime July 30, 2016 at 12:25 am #

also i overwrote the boot.elf with that of the modpack and it installed it all fine.

45. Airtime July 29, 2016 at 9:28 pm #

i have now done 3 wii’s this week after years of not doing them and its painless as ever, great guide. One machine was still on the old 3.4E but after I updated to 4.3e everything ran smooth.

46. adam August 26, 2016 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks guy. awesome……The internet still keep value..thx

47. Joash September 6, 2016 at 5:34 am #

Des this article have a follow-up for a legit way to install and run backups in a good loader like wiiflow, USB loader GX, CFG USB loader, etc.?