How To Remove Old Android Devices from Google Play Store List

If you switch between several Android devices and use the same Google account for each one, you’ll notice that the Google Play Store shows all of them when you want to install apps from your computer. This can sometimes get confusing. Here’s how to remove old devices from the list.

If your list looks like the one in the image below and you’re not using all of those devices, you’ll want to shed the old ones. The process is easy. And even though you can’t remove a device altogether, you can at least remove it from the Play Store list.

List of Android Devices

Remove Android Devices from Google Play Store List

Log in to the Google Play Store and click Settings (gear icon) on the top right side of the page, or click this link to get where you need to be easily.

Google Settings

On the next page you’ll see a list of all of the devices associated with your Google account. Just uncheck the ones you don’t want shown in the devices list anymore when installing apps.

My Devices

Also note that here you can rename your devices by clicking the Edit link on the right end of each device’s line, type in a new one, and hit Enter. You can change your email preferences from here too.

How many old Android devices do you have on your list? Do you usually install apps from the Play Store on your computer, or directly from the device? Leave a comment below and let us know what you do.

Also, for more Android tips, make sure to check out our new site called groovyAndroid. It’s a bit sparse right now, but we’re growing the amount of content regularly.

23 Responses to How To Remove Old Android Devices from Google Play Store List

1. Derek March 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

I don’t think you understand the meaning of the word “remove”.

• Stubugs June 18, 2014 at 8:25 am #

I’ve just followed Bogdan’s procedure and it’s certainly REMOVED my old tablet from the Google Play Store list which comes up when I want to install a new app!

• blobs September 16, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

@Stubugs. You obviously don’t understand the meaning of “REMOVE”. I also agree with Derek on this case. The explanation above only “HIDES” your device from the list of DEVICES that you want apps to be installed on the devices. This article is completely misleading in every possible ways.

• Dave April 27, 2015 at 8:46 am #

It used to be possible with Google Play to remove a device. That changed with updates to the software, and you can no longer remove devices the way you used to.

This article was likely written when it was still possible to remove a device, but since the article is bound to block title, changing the title would cause more problems than it’s worth.

To be fair, the author also has this note in the article:
          “Note: This article has been updated to reflect the changes in the Google Play Store.”

It’s not the author’s fault google decided to remove a feature many wish they hadn’t.

• Trev November 15, 2014 at 4:51 am #

He did say “Remove from list”

2. Aaron July 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

My concern is that I installed an app from the play store (to emulate the Android OS on my PC)… now there is an additional phone in my listed devices… that device is located on the West coast of Africa. I didn’t use the software longe before deleting it, but now I am worried about the mystery phone and whether or not my account is vulnerable.

3. Logan August 21, 2014 at 8:52 am #

I installed Blue Stacks to my PC and used it to download a few apps from the GPlay store. I now have a Samsung Note with a Japanese telecom provider on my list.

I agree that “Remove” is not what these folks think it is.

• Ptyson November 8, 2014 at 2:57 am #

Thanks Logan. You answered the question as to why I had a Samsung device in my list. I have never owned a Samsung device. I too have installed and uninstalled the Bluestacks piece of crap. Now off to hide it in my devices list.
      I think that it is ridiculous that Google does not allow you to completely remove the device. I think that this inability to completely remove devices poses a serious future security risk.

• Commodore Crush December 17, 2014 at 11:56 am #

Yes. I’m having the same problem. Had Bluestacks installed. Uninstalled. Now I have a Samsung device in my list that I’ve never owned. Also showing the West Coast of Africa. WTF?

4. Gil October 28, 2014 at 9:32 am #

How to REMOVE a device????
    is the question here,
    and not how to HIDE a device.

You DIDN’T answer the question!!!

5. Stubugs October 28, 2014 at 11:44 am #

@blobs No, sunshine! If you read my post much more carefully you’ll see the word “list”. The procedure certainly removed the unwanted equipment’ name from the LIST. End of!

• Warrel May 7, 2015 at 4:08 am #

No it isn’t. It’s still on the list. it just doesn’t show on the drop down. But nothing has been removed.

6. Deependra Chaudhary October 31, 2014 at 4:35 am #

Thanks for sharing! It worked on my moto g2!

7. Mangesh November 30, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

How to remove(not hide) old android Device from Google Account?

• Jacob February 20, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

I would leave feedback for Google via a survey. However, I’d also try to make it as relevant as I possibly could.

PS, I’m not subscribing to future comments.

8. ISharonda Brown December 29, 2014 at 11:56 am #

I wish to install apps on my new android device

9. Apple January 6, 2015 at 1:48 am #

This information has no use or applicability if you want to remove your device from the Google Play store. Hiding it does not remove it.

10. Yo'Bro January 29, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

Account – Recent Activity – Devices – (click on the device you want to remove) – Remove (big red button). This removes your account from that phone (in Japan or Africa whatever), but the device will stay in the list as it shows the history of you account usage. After this change your password and check your recovery mail/question just in case and you are all set. cheers!

• Logan January 29, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

Yo’Bro, the whole point of this now rather fruitless post was to actually remove the device from our lists. Google has finally listened to the people complaining and made changes to the system that allows us to remove them. When this whole thing started, the process was broken.

• Vince January 30, 2015 at 8:56 am #

Hi Logan, You say that it’s now possible to delete the devices ? I still don’t find how to ! Thanks

• OMA January 31, 2015 at 10:07 am #

Well, the Recent Activity / Devices option you mention lets you “remove” devices but they’re still listed in this page: https://play.google.com/settings
        So it seems the process is still broken…

11. Rude February 3, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

Hi, l recently rooted my Samsung S2 GT-i9100 with KitKat 4.4.4 and need to get Google play to recognize my updated phone so l can put on apps designed for Samsung S3 & S4. Any ideas on this would be great

12. asim March 22, 2015 at 6:14 am #

my google play account is showing some other devices which i dont or did not own. how to delete that accounts from my list as those account do not belongs to me.