Map a Network Drive to Windows Live Skydrive Using Office 2010 [How-To]

Groovy Skydrive How-to, tips, and downloadsI’ve always been a big fan of Microsoft Windows Live Skydrive.  Not only does Microsoft have the best Privacy Policy and Terms of Service vs. Google, Facebook etc… for their free online offerings but they also give you a monstrous 25GB of free hosted storage in the cloud no strings attached.

So you can imagine how excited I was over the weekend when I discovered a groovy way to to my Windows Live Skydrive account using Office 2010.  Once mapped, the drive works just like any other Mapped network drive.  I can save Office documents to it, pictures, files etc… just like a normal mapped drive.   VERY groovy!  Here, let me show you how it’s done!

How To Map a Network Drive to a Windows Live Skydrive

1. Open up a Microsoft Office 2010 application, I did it using Word.

If you don’t have Microsoft Office 2010 you can download the trial here or get the beta here.

launch microsoft word 2010 in windows 7

2. In Word (or whatever Microsoft Office app you opened) Click the File tab and then Select
Save & Send > Save to Web > Sign In.

3. Type in your Windows Live credentials and Click OK.  If you don’t have a Windows Live account go here and create one.

enter your windows live account user name and password in microsoft office 2010

4. Choose or Create a new folder and then Click Save As.  If you want your documents to be private, make sure you don’t use the Public folder.

select a windows live skydrive folder

5. It may take a moment for the Save window to appear so don’t panic if it looks like Office freezes.  Once the Save box opens, Copy the URL location in the address bar.

get your widows live skydrive url and copy it

6. Open up the Start Menu, Right-Click My Computer and Select Map network drive…

map a network drive in windows 7

7. Paste the previously copied URL into the Folder text box.   Also Check the Connect using different credentials box.  Click Finish to continue.

paste in your windows live skydrive url to the mapped network drive opion and check conect usin different credentials then click finish.

8. You’ll be prompted again to enter your Windows Live credentials.  Type them in and then Click OK.

re enter your windows live account credentials

Now hopefully it worked and you have your online Skydrive account mapped as a network drive on your PC.  From here you can directly drag and drop files into Skydrive just like it were a regular folder on your computer.

The only catch here is that you’ll have to manually Click sign-in to access Skydrive every time you restart your computer.  If you want to automatically sign into Skydrive just follow the How-To article I write about 5 minutes ago.  I explain in DETAILS .

Update: MrGroove says he didn’t need to use the Online Provide plugin linked above to get this to work.  He’s using Windows 7 and Office 2010 RTM.  So, mileage may vary…  Would love to hear your feedback on what you experience on this!

windows live skydrive mounted in windows 7

Drop any comments below or questions in our support !  Thanks!

, , , ,

20 Responses to Map a Network Drive to Windows Live Skydrive Using Office 2010 [How-To]

1. Robert May 5, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Hello,
    I would like to have SkyDrive in “My Computer” but im not using Windows Office 2010 but OpenOffice.

Is there any other way to get this done, not using Windows Office?

Greetings
    Robert

• grooveDexter May 5, 2010 at 8:15 am #

There sure is, keep an eye out for the how-to article either later tonight or tomorrow!
      It essentially uses live.com to do it but it can be a little tricky so I’ll include screenshots.

2. TaraKK May 5, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

Worked for me 1st attempt. I’m using Office 2010 RTM (MSDN) and Windows 7. I reboot and I still had the mapped drive.

Awesome tip. Only problem I’m having is the upload speed is a little slow. The download speed is good tho. Not sure if it’s just my cable modem or Skydrive?

Anyone else notice slow speeds uploading?

• MrGroove May 6, 2010 at 10:02 am #

@TaraKK – Performance is a good point. GrooveDexter didn’t mention this in his article but from my findings things have been a little unpredictable in regards to upload and download speed from a SkyDrive Mapped Network Drive.

Upload Speed
      I’ve tested a few 10 meg files and I’ve found that the upload speed (it was a .exe) can be anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. The only thing different between the files was the filename…

Download Speed
      Downloading files out of my Skydrive mapped drive has consistently been very good. For me, a 10 meg file never took more than 20 seconds which is pretty good considering the file is sitting in a cloud somewhere. I think those speeds are comparable to a good FTP site.

One thing I did notice that helped both Upload and Download speeds a bit was if I was activly navigating around in the folder tree of the skydrive from Windows Explorer, when I actually started the file copy up or down things appeared to go faster.

Hope this helps answer your question (and anyone else out there).

Anyone else out there have any data on Upload/Download speeds with Skydrive mapped to a drive in Windows?

3. grooveDexter May 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm #

if you don’t have MS Office, check out our latest how-to for a step-by-step of mapping Skydrive to your computer without it:

4. chen June 14, 2010 at 9:30 am #

this is the best and first real solution to mapping skydrive issue. thanks.
    however, i’ve noticed that after working with the folder (copying and moving files, creating new sub-folder etc.) i had to refresh the folder in order for my action to show.
    i’m using office 2010 beta and win 7 64 bit.
    did anyone else have this problem?

5. Ubuntu? November 11, 2010 at 8:48 am #

Any clue on how to connect to the skydrive folder in linux?

6. powermax December 3, 2010 at 6:06 am #

but its not displays skydrive root folder. i use it for picture.so anyway to link the entire skydrive

7. Daniel January 30, 2011 at 10:39 am #

When I do this, it gives me the same status as my hard drive. For example, I have 708GB free in a 805GB hard drive, and when I click on properties for the skydrive, it gives me the same stats.

8. bluecat40blue May 12, 2011 at 6:57 am #

This worked well for me, expecially as I’m not very technical. Is there a way of being able to see the doc. you have in your skydrive off-line. I’m guessing not but you never know, would be useful as not always on-line with the laptop.

9. Cognus November 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

‘Dex I deeply appreciate this. I agree that MS have done us a huge service by throwing this challenge to Goog et al. I will be trying to set this up for a real world, bigtime, “must work” law office application.

10. fx_dx November 15, 2011 at 5:32 am #

worked well for in first try, thx

11. Chris S February 7, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Have an issue with doing this. When I try to log in with my Live ID, it tells me another user’s credentials are in use. I’m using a domain-joined machine from my corporate laptop. Anyway around this?

• FiB3R May 6, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I’m having the same problem. Did you ever resolve it?

• FiB3R May 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Close any Office apps you have running. This resolved it for me :)

12. David Johns March 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

How can I do this on a mac?

13. dennyyelllow June 24, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Superb! Works really great :)

14. Cooldude February 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Good job! This works awesome, even for a beginner! Don’t try if you only have Office 2013, though.
    Update: Only works with Word 2010

15. Xmodulo February 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

What are the options if you don’t have the luxury of Office 2010?