Use Windows Key + R To Quickly Launch Apps As Administrator

How to Use the windows key + r to quickly open programs as administratorThe command prompt, regedit, and other core windows components are used more often than you might think by Power Users.  A lot of the time these programs need to be run as an administrator as well, but even if they don’t you can still save time and plenty of mouse clicks by using the run dialog to open them.  If you don’t like the run dialog don’t worry, your mouse will thank you for at least trying…

How To Save A Lot Of Clicking With the Windows Key + R Shortcut

Step 1

Hold down the Windows Key and Press R on your keyboard.

windows key + r

Step 2

The run dialog box will open.  Type in the name of the program you want to run and Press Enter!

open cmd from the run dialog to automatically open it as an administrator

Bam, done!  Now your program is open and it only took, well, zero mouse clicks!  You did all of it with just the keyboard.  To top it all off, every program you open up through the run dialog will automatically be in Administrator power mode.  Way to go you groovy keyboard master you.

cmd opened by the run dialog as administrator

, , , ,

19 Responses to Use Windows Key + R To Quickly Launch Apps As Administrator

1. Pieter August 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Not working for me.
    I don’t see the shield icon and text “This task will …” when hitting .
    Need to do anything special?

• MrGroove August 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Same question to you as I left for SMEE below.

• Pieter August 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

all of them are working.
        Win+R just opens the run dialogscreen but without the admin rights.
        Win7 64-bit indeed.

• EpicArnold August 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

I think you need to be on an administrator account for the shield icon to appear. Not 100% sure tho I have never used the cheapo versions of windows 7 so it could be that too.

• Pieter September 2, 2010 at 5:10 am #

All shortcuts work, I am admin (domain AND local) but it is not showing.

• George Ain't Curious September 2, 2010 at 5:14 am #

I’m on Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and mine is working perfectly!

2. Smee August 10, 2010 at 6:21 am #

Not working for me, either.

Win7 64bit.

• MrGroove August 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

Does Windows Key + D work? Is your windows key functioning properly? Try Windows Key + D or + E or + L

+D = Minimize everything
      +E = Open Windows Explorer / My Computer
      +L = Lock PC

Do any of these work?

3. Dorathy Saner November 27, 2010 at 5:32 am #

Hello i just came across your site from Google but got a wierd popup about cat hospitals which is obviously not related to your website. Is this your advertising or do i have a spyware problem? Thanks.

4. Legolas November 10, 2011 at 1:47 am #

Old stuff, I know, but I don;t see this info in enough places: Win+R will show ‘This task .. administrative priviliges’ when UAC is completely off. When it’s on, it won’t show that text (and won’t run things with admin privs).

• Jesse December 7, 2011 at 3:33 am #

Exactly. My Google-Fu took me here. This article is useless to those that don’t disable UAC (which almost no one has any business doing in the first place) and want to efficiently run programs with elevation.

• Jesse December 7, 2011 at 3:38 am #

Well, I retract that statement if you’re unfortunate enough to be running on Vista. /shrug.

5. Phil May 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

BEWARE!! A phone scam group uses Windows key + R to get you to run programs as administrator. I did not know about this. That’s why I got here. Next time they call I will tell them I did it and see what’s next.

• Austin Ruthruff May 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Phil, opening Windows key + R won’t cause any problems as long as you don’t do anything malicious with the programs you open from it.

Don’t fret amigo!

• Tiffany July 24, 2013 at 3:17 am #

I got a call yesterday, obvious scam, from some guy who said he was with Microsoft Tech team and my computer had contacted them with a security notification and they were going to help he fix the problem….for a nominal fee of course….so I played along to see how far it would go. This was the first thing they wanted me to do to verify my computers Identifying numbers or something….now I know what to tell them is on the screen when they call again….

• Renee September 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

I got that same phone call today. Said he was from Microsoft Tech and he was going to show me what my problem was. I didn’t/don’t think Microsoft works that way so I told him I would call him back. That when he told me I would get a busy signal and could not call him back. So I hung up. I don’t think you should give him any numbers from your computer because I believe they can tap into your computer remotely without you knowing. Thank for this article.

6. Chuck November 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I received a call this evening from a very pushy fellow who asked me to do the very same thing as Renee and Tiffany with the Windows + R keys. It sounded like a scam to me and he became very angry when I “did not do as he instructs me.” Don’t verify anything with these people. They had my address and land line number! Yikes! He eventually hung up on me when I said it sounded like a scam and I would not comply with his demands. Watch out!

7. Shane November 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

LOL, I got the same call but they are claiming to be from Windows support and are protecting me from a hacker…….I like to play along and piss them off…”can’t find the window on my key board”…”opened the window but caused a draft so I closed it”…..”cant hear you please speak up”…..until they are eventually yelling at you…then ask them to stop yelling you are only trying to help….lol….great fun

8. Louanne November 29, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

I got a suspicious phone call tonight that was very similar. A woman with a strong Indian accent said she was from Microsoft and had noticed a number of error messages coming from my computer. She could help if I followed directions. She asked me to press the windows key and R. I did not do this and told her I would check it out on my own. She kept telling me not to worry but I hung up on her.