Setup the Windows 7 VPN Client [How-To]

image

Normally (about 99% of the time) VPN is used by corporate users to connect back to their Corp. network to get access to their file shares, sharepoint servers blah blah blah.

Occasionally however, VPN can be used by (or on the other side of Mom’s firewall when she needs <cough> tech support…) to get access to their files or photos on their home boxes.  Anyway, to help with this Microsoft built both the VPN client and server into Windows 7.  Earlier today I wrote about the so let’s jump into the client side.

How To Set Up A Home-Based VPN Client With Windows 7

1.   Click the Windows Start Orb and Type network into the search bar.  Then Click the Network and Sharing Center.

access the network and sharing center in windows 7

2.   From the Network Center Click the link to Set up a new connection or network.

set up a new connection or network in windows 7

3.   Click Connect to a workplace, then Click Next.

connect to a workplace, vpn, in windows 7

4.   Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).

use my internet connection vpn in windows 7

5.  Under internet address Type in your WAN or Global IP address.  Under Destination Name: Type in a any description of what you would like your connection to be called.  Then Check the box Don’t connect now; just set it up so I can connect laterClick Next to continue.

enter your wan or global ip address and then dont connect now just set it up so i can connect later in windows 7

6.   Type in the User Name and Password that was assigned for use from the VPN host.  This is most likely a user account that exists to normally login to the VPN host machine.  Click Create when done.

Note: You can choose to Remember this password however a connection is more secure if you require credentials to be re-entered every single time.

type your user name and password and then create the connection in windows 7

7.   We don’t want to connect just yet, there are a few settings that need adjusted to make the connection more secure.  Click Close and then navigate back to the Network and Sharing Center (shown in step 1).

don't connect just yet, click close

8.   From the Network and Sharing Center Click Change adapter settings.

change network adapter settings in windows 7

9.   Right-Click the newly created VPN Connection (Destination Name) and Select Properties.

adjust the connection properties

10.   Click the Security tab and Set Data Encryption to Maximum strength encryption (disconnect if server declines).  Then below make sure that both CHAP boxes are checked.  Click OK to save and continue.

change the security settings to data encryption = maxium strength encryption and enable both Chap and Chap V2

11.  Next Right-Click the VPN Connection and this time Select ConnectType in the User name and Password and then Click Connect.

enter credentials and connect

The VPN connection should now be live!

view connected clients from the vpn host

As a reminder, this is probably 1 of about 100 different configs for the VPN client so unless you manage both sides (client and server) you will probably need to get the exact client configs from your IT team to get the VPN client setup perfectly.

, ,

10 Responses to Setup the Windows 7 VPN Client [How-To]

1. zack December 30, 2009 at 10:19 am #

Very good post and information with all the nice pictures! Thanks. Which tool you use for all the nice callout, highlights? It looks so professional with these!

2. MrGroove December 31, 2009 at 10:45 am #

Snagit. You can find it on http://www.techsmith.com

It's a great APP. I think you can pick it up for ~$20.00 yeah i know… it's not free :(

If you don't want to pay, you can also get their free app called Jing. Here's a write-up on it – http://www.groovypost.com/howto/groovyreview/ji

3. ROBERT DRIPCHAK July 21, 2010 at 6:13 am #

MY VPN RECEIVES AND SENDS PACKETS WHEN LOOKING AT CONNECTION IN NETWORK AND SHARING. THE NETWORK ACCESS SAYS: NO ACCESS.
    ALSO, THE PROPERTIES OF THE VPN SAYS THERE IS NO TCP4 OR TCP6 NOT ON

4. drp37 June 15, 2011 at 6:46 am #

I’m hoping this will not sound like a dumb question, but you only discuss being able to access files on the destination network. Will this set up also allow me to access the internet through the VPN host?

Thanks!

5. Joey H June 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

I have a static IP from my provider… how would I login (the syntax) to my home machine from a starbucks…? What ports would I need to open in the router to do this?

Joe

6. mike October 3, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

hello, i had a question about this, i have followed your guides to the letter and every time i try and connect to the vpn i set up at home i get error 800. any ideas as to why i receive this?

thanks.

7. Juzar November 18, 2011 at 12:35 am #

Dear friends,

Many thansks for posting, but I don’t understand second, what will be my server name and how will I have user name and password, how can other person connect to my computer, means how will I brother connect to my computer.

Regards

Juzar para

8. OnTheRun January 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Hi,

I know your post went up a few years back, but hopefully you’ll still reply. It’s about using VPN from an Android tablet.

I have ICS on my tablet and I’m connect to this VPN Only wireless connecting at an office. I was able to setup VPN host successfully (I hope) using your “Setup a VPN – PPTP Host On Your Home Windows 7 PC” Post; however, I’m trying to connect from my tablet with no success. It appears like it try to connect, but I get a connetion timeout. I’m doing something wrong somewhere, but I can seem to figure it out. It is a corporate office…not sure if the issue is that I’m using PPTP, instead of using some other type.

FYI. While connected to this wireless guest account I’m able to receive emails from my hotmail account…weird as I shouldn’t be receiving anything since it’s only for VPN connection.

9. Girl007 March 29, 2012 at 2:53 am #

Yo que vivo en China les puedo asegurar que el vpn que mejor se adapta a windows 7 es el vpn ninja, yo lo descargue desde vpnninja.com

10. juanras April 9, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Yo tambien utilizo vpn ninja, vivo en Colombia y me funciona muy bien!!