How To Set or Remove Gmail as Your Default Email Link Handler

I n a recent update to Chrome, Google enabled a new website handler feature. You might have noticed the permissions button that now appears whenever you login to Gmail using Chrome. If enabled, Gmail will automatically open and compose a new email message addressed to the email you click on while browsing the web. If you’ve enabled it and want to undo that, follow the instructions below.

Click email links and automatically compose a new message in Gmail

Enable Gmail as Chrome’s Email Link Handler

Login to Gmail using Chrome version 18.0.1025.45 or later. At the top of the page you should see a permissions bar asking for permission to “Allow Gmail (mail.google.com) to open all email links?”  click Use Gmail.

use gmail as your default email link handler

Remove Gmail as your email link handler in Chrome

Open Google Chrome and click the Options (wrench) button at the top-right of the browser.  From the drop-down list select Settings.

chrome wrench > settings

Navigate to the Under the Hood tab and click the Content settings… button.

under the hood > content settings

Scroll down to the Content Settings list and click the Manage handlers… button.

manage handlers in chrome

All of your active (installed) protocol handlers will be listed on this page. Click the “remove this site” on the mailto handler to remove Gmail as your email link handler. Once removed, your system will revert back to opening email links in whatever default program you have assigned it.

gmail protocol handler

, ,

20 Responses to How To Set or Remove Gmail as Your Default Email Link Handler

1. Kyle March 5, 2012 at 7:48 am #

I stupidly clicked to allow Gmail be the main content handler without thinking what I was doing.

I have now removed Gmail a a content handler but now the mailto: links won’t open in my email app (mac Mail.app) and there seems to be no way to set this.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

• Rob March 6, 2012 at 4:31 am #

I am having the same issue as Kyle. Please let me know if you find a solution.

• rob March 6, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Kyle,

I found the answer to your Mac problem.. I was having the same issue. Here is what you do:

Go to Mac Mail > preferences> General > Default Email Reader. Select the dropdown and reset it to Mail.app (4.5)…..

You should be back in business. Also, Google, I believe, was evil and automatically set this up with its “reset”……I’m leaving Chome and switching back to Firefox…I no longer TRUST Google–they want your privacy to be removed and are making no bones about it in the media these days…..I hope this helps. Rob

• Ben May 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

thanks!

2. Matthew March 11, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Thank you!! Very Helpful! Hate how google did that automatically

3. Martin March 23, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Great, thanks! This has been bugging me for a week or so. Now email links open Outlook like they should.

4. Bill March 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I too stupidly clicked to allow Gmail to handle links.

I removed the permission according to these instructions but now when I click on an email link instead of opening a new message in Outlook as it did, it just goes to chrome on whatever page I was on. If Chrome is shut clicking on an email address opens to my home page.

Any help?

bf

5. Mel March 31, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I am on win7 and did the chrome mail handler removal, but now, mailto: hyperlinks don’t do squat. anyone know how to revert back to Windows live mail client as it was the previous default. I am assuming something in the registry needs to be modified as well, but not a big windooze expert here

6. Mister Buggles April 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Finally figured it out. Downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird email program and let it be the default. Closed it out. Opened up my preferred email program and it asked if I would like it to be default… Yes. All fixed.

7. Bev June 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Hi,

what about gmail w/out chrome?

• Hans June 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Thx for your reply. Maybe that will do the job, but I am very satisfied with chrome, it is absolutely the fastest and most handy browser.
      H

8. Jacqui July 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

THANK YOU so much for this. One day Chrome just started doing this and I was going crazy trying to figure out how to fix it. Thank you thank you thank you.

9. Kate September 5, 2012 at 5:10 am #

Hi, I want to make Gmail a default mail client, but in past I probably click No to the question
    “Allow Gmail (mail.google.com) to open all email links?” . How can I now change it?

Thanks Kate

10. James LaBarre November 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Trying your instructions with Chrome 22.0. There is no such thing as a “Under the Hood” section in the settings. In fact, not much of anything in the settings looks like your screen shots. So the instructions no longer work, apparently. Need to find someone with *current* instructions.

11. DJ BiGiCE ... www.djbigice.com January 22, 2013 at 4:59 am #

Very easy change… I’m sorry we tested only in Mac OS X :)
    Go to Mail application – Preferences – General – Default email reader – choose what you want… and after restart the Google Chrome. YUPIIIII :))

• THX August 15, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I’m having the same issue as Kate. I *want* to add gmail as the default in Chrome but in the past clicked ‘no’. How do I get it to ask again or otherwise add the handler Chrome?

12. Jean July 14, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Where are you when you go to Mail Application? In other words, where do you start from? Thanks.

13. Nitin October 22, 2013 at 1:05 am #