Apple today is releasing iOS and iPadOS 13.3 which contains bug fixes, new parental controls, support for security keys in Safari, and more. This update follows other incremental updates to bug-ridden iOS 13. Here is a look at what you can expect.
iOS 13.3 for iPhone and iPadOS 13.3 for iPad
The update for iPhone and iPad includes new Parental Controls features including Communication Limits in Screen Time. This lets you limit who and when and whom you’re kids can talk, text, and FaceTime with during certain hours. Parents have the option to block their kids from communicating with everyone except themselves after a set time of the day, for example.
There are also improvements to the Apple News app which includes a new layout for Apple News+ stories from major newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal. There is also a simple way to like or dislike a story with a tap. There’s also an update to the Stocks app where stories form Apple News are now available in Canada in English or French.
And among a number of bug fixes, this build also brings us the ability to create a new video clip when trimming videos in Photos. As well as the ability to use FIDO2-compliant USB-C, NFC, and Lightning physical security devices with Apple’s Safari browser.
You can grab the update by heading to Settings > General > Software Update. Then tap the “Download and Install” button. Keep in mind your device will need to restart to complete the update process. So, you’ll want to find a convenient time to grab it.
In addition to the main updates for iOS, the company is also rolling out an update to Apple TV in the form of tvOS 13.3 and an update for Apple Watch with watchOS 6.1.1.
Here are the full release notes of what is fixed in this update according to Apple:
iOS 13.3 includes improvements, bug fixes and additional parental controls for Screen Time
- New parental controls provide more communication limits over who their children can call, FaceTime, or Message
- Contact list for children lets parents manage the contacts that appear on their children’s devices
- New layout for Apple News+ stories from The Wall Street Journal and other leading newspapers
- Easily like or dislike stories with a tap
- Stories from Apple News are now available in Canada in English and French
- Continue reading with links to related stories or more stories from the same publication
- “Breaking” and “Developing” labels for Top Stories
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
- Enables the creation of a new video clip when trimming a video in Photos
- Adds support for NFC, USB, and Lightning FIDO2-compliant security keys in Safari
- Fixes issues in Mail that may prevent downloading new messages
- Addresses an issue that prevented deleting messages in Gmail accounts
- Resolves issues that could cause incorrect characters to display in messages and duplication of sent messages in Exchange accounts
- Fixes an issue where the cursor may not move after long pressing on the space bar
- Addresses an issue that may cause screenshots to appear blurry when sent via Messages
- Resolves an issue where cropping or using Markup on screenshots may not save to Photos
- Fixes an issue where Voice Memos recordings may not be able to be shared with other audio apps
- Addresses an issue where the missed call badge on the Phone app may not clear
- Resolves an issue where the Cellular Data setting may incorrectly show as off
- Fixes an issue that prevented turning off Dark Mode when Smart Invert was enabled
- Addresses an issue where some wireless chargers may charge more slowly than expected