Apple today held an event where it announced a few new services. The company also released iOS 12.2 which allows you to subscribe to it’s News+ service and more.
Apple today had a big event called “It’s Show Time” at the Steve Jobs Theater where it announced new gaming, news, and TV subscriptions services. In addition to the new services announced, the company also released a major update – iOS 12.2 for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. The new update includes support for the Apple News+ service, second-gen AirPods support, Siri and Apple TV integration, Safari improvements, and a lot more.
If you have automatic updated enabled, you should see the new update soon. If not, head to Settings > General > Software Update to get it.
From all the new services announced today at the Apple event, the only one that’s available now is Apple News+ which you can access after installing the iOS 12.2 update. Apple News+ allows you to access over 300 magazines and newspapers from one central app for $9.99/month. Of course, the company is offering a free one-month trial to test it out first.
After you update your iPhone or iPad, open Apple’s New app and tap the new “News+” icon at the bottom of the screen and then start your free trial.
Apple iOS 12.2 Update
Here is a look at everything else included in today’s update according to Apple’s changelog:
- Apple News+ is a new subscription service that extends the Apple News experience with hundreds of magazines and top newspapers
- Our editors handpick top articles and magazine issues, and you also get personalized recommendations on the topics most interesting to you
- Automatic downloads make it easy to read magazine issues offline
- Apple News is now available in Canada, with a free experience that includes handpicked Top Stories, a personalized Today feed, and support for both English and French
- Apple News+ is available in the U.S. and in Canada, with dozens of additional Canadian magazines
- Ask Siri on your iPhone or iPad to play any video, show, movie, sports game, or channel on Apple TV. For example, “Hey Siri, play Free Solo on my TV”
- Four new Animoji—owl, boar, giraffe and shark—are included for iPhone X and later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch
- Dedicated TV controls in Control Center and on the Lock Screen give you quick access to TV controls
- AirPlay multitasking for video allows you to browse other apps, as well as play other short form audio and video files locally on your device without interrupting AirPlay
- AirPlay destinations are now grouped by content type making it faster for you to find what device you want to play to
- Apple Pay Cash customers can now transfer money to their bank accounts instantly using their Visa debit cards
- Wallet app now conveniently displays Apple Pay credit and debit transactions right below the card
- Downtime can be configured with a different schedule for each day of the week
- A new toggle enables easily turning app limits on or off temporarily
- Website sign-in now occurs automatically after filling credentials with Password AutoFill
- Warnings now appear when loading unencrypted webpages
- Removes support for the expired Do Not Track standard to prevent potential use as a fingerprinting variable; Intelligent Tracking Prevention now protects against cross-site tracking by default
- Smart Search Field queries can now be modified by tapping the arrow icon next to search suggestions
- The Browse tab shows more editorial highlights on a single page making it easier to discover new music, playlists, and more
- Support for new AirPods (2nd generation)
This update also includes other improvements and bug fixes. This update:
- Supports Air Quality Index in Maps for US, UK, and India
- Includes information in Settings on how much time remains on your device’s warranty period
- Supports real-time text (RTT) for phone calls made through a nearby iPhone on iPad and iPod Touch
- Displays a “5G E” icon for iPhone 8 and later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) or iPad Pro 11-inch indicating that users are connected to AT&T’s 5G Evolution network
- Improves quality of audio recordings in Messages
- Improves stability and performance of Apple TV Remote on iOS
- Fixes an issue that prevented some missed calls from appearing in Notification Center
- Addresses an issue where a badge notification could appear on Settings even though no action is needed
- Addresses an issue in Settings > General > iPhone Storage where the storage size of some large apps, the System category, and the Other category in the storage bar graph could be incorrect
- Fixes an issue that could cause Voice Memos to automatically play back recordings after connecting to a car Bluetooth device
- Resolves an issue that could cause Voice Memos to temporarily prevent renaming a recording
It’s also worth noting that you will need to update your Apple TV today as well. That will get you the Siri integration that allows you to ask Siri to play shows from your iPhone.