How To Forward Calls to Another Number From an iPhone

imageEver since I bought my first iPhone 3G 3-4 years ago, the first thing I do when I get home is forward all calls from my iPhone to my home phone.  At first I did this because the AT&T coverage is so poor in my neighborhood however a side benefit is I don’t need to carry my iPhone around all night.  Nothing worse than being tethered to a phone all night.

So, if your like me and you actually still have a home phone, follow the simple steps below to forward your phone to your home number.  BTW – Although this tip is for iPhone users, the process is basically the same for Android users as well.

How To Forward Calls to Another Number on the iPhone

Step 1

Tap Settings on your iPhone

iphone settings option

Step 2

Tap Phone

iphone phone screen

Step 3

Tap Call Forwarding

iphone call forwarding option screenshot

Step 4

Tap Call Forwarding to toggle on turn on the feature

Note: To disable Call Forwarding later, just return to this menu and toggle off.

iphone call forwarding option screenshot

After toggling on Call Forwarding the Forward To option will become available.  If you’ve already used the feature before the previous # you forwarded your iPhone to will be displayed.  If that’s the case, your done.  If not, continue onto Step 5.

Step 5

Tap Forward to to choose a number to forward your phone to

iphone call forwarding option screenshot

Step 6

Input the phone number number starting with Area Code.  Tap Call Forwarding back button when done.

iphone call forwarding option screenshot

Once Call Forwarding has been enabled you will notice a new Phone Icon on the top Bar of your iPhone Screen:

iphone call forwarding icon

This means your phone has been forwarded to another number.  Don’t forget about this!  I can’t tell you how many times my wife has txt’d me telling me my phone is still forwarded home… ; )

As I mentioned earlier, almost all phones on all carriers have the ability to forward calls to another number.  For instance, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint all allow you to forward older model Non-Smart phones using *72, and the phone #.  Example: *72 206 555 1212.  This is actually how I always forwarded my old flip phone back in the days…

, ,

12 Responses to How To Forward Calls to Another Number From an iPhone

1. Kads October 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

Hi

I have tried that option, but once I return back to the page after keying in the no. # where I want the calls to be fwded, the ON key automatically switches off to OFF!!
    Can any1 guide me how do I go about this?

-Kads

• MrGroove October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm #

Hi Kads – did you try a few different numbers? I noticed when I tried a bad #, the phone didn’t accept it.

• Kads October 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

Hi Mr Groove!

I did try with other numbers! but it dint work!
        My network provider does provide the option to forward calls .. so m sure there is no problem there!

M clueless!!!

• jacks69 December 12, 2010 at 8:11 am #

Call your carrier. I called mine and they told me exactly what to do.

• chad July 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Jacks69,

what did they tell you to do. I have the same problem, called ATT they transfered me to APPLE and neither could fix it.

I would like for you to tell me wha tyou did to get it to work.

chad

• Evan November 23, 2011 at 11:27 am #

You have to activate call forwarding on your plan or it will not work. Once you add this to your cell plan it will work fine

2. fatin March 10, 2012 at 7:45 am #

is it possible to forward a single call to some other number?

3. elividu April 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

I’m trying to follow your directions to forward calls from my iPhone to my home landline. Under phone in my settings window, I don’t have a call forwarding button. Is it somewhere else?

4. Veronica Vilder July 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Tnx for the guide – but here in Sweden there are som ppl with a low ranked job that annoys your off time – phone vendors – books underwear soap and other crap spoiling your time.
    i have on my phone made contact labled “commercial no answer”
    but it would be a lot easier if i could do as a friend of mine on a samsung :
    put a v-bug in a menu square -
    redirect all calls from this contact
    is this higly usable feature possible on an iphone – if so how ?

i would love to redirect these vendors to 911 – so they can tell them to get a real job.
    grrrmf!

5. Krishna March 5, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

I have tried as you shown and it did work before.BUt it’s not working anymore now.When i forward my number to another phone,if somebody rings me,my phone is busy…any idea please…

6. Hilmi August 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Need to key in some code that not in the manual of the i-phone. there is 2-3 code that depend on what is u want, (to divert when unreachable/ busy)

7. Alex November 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Oh yeah, thank you. So simple and so overlooked….