Poll: What’s Stopping You from Trying Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Ubuntu is like that strip mall that they put up near your old high school that you only drive past once every Thanksgiving. Maybe you’ve never pulled in and patronized it, but each time you see it, you notice something new: “Oh wow, they’ve got a Culver’s now.

For me, that attitude towards Ubuntu has recently changed. Due to some technical difficulties with my main work computer, I’ve been using my Ubuntu netbook full-time for the past few days. So far, the experience has been very positive.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Ubuntu, Ubuntu is just about the most user-friendly distribution of Linux that you’ll find. It’s maintained by a group called Canonical, and they release a new version of Ubuntu every six months. Ubuntu is by far the closest thing you’ll get to a Microsoft Windows-like experience without shelling out hundreds of dollars. That’s because it’s free.

Although you’ll often hear geeks and hackers extol the virtues of Linux, you don’t have to be a geek in order to use Linux. Ubuntu has a lot to do with that, and over the years, they’ve done a very impressive job of getting Linux to work “out-of-the-box” for novice to intermediate users. After my recent re-evaluation of Ubuntu, I think Ubuntu is definitely ready for the mainstream. In fact, given the increasingly high costs of Windows and Mac software, I’m surprised more users aren’t fleeing to the land of the free (i.e. open source).

So, I’m curious to hear from you: Why you haven’t tried Ubuntu?
Ubuntu - The Gang's All Here
For me, it was because I just couldn’t live without certain programs. But in the interceding years since I last tried Ubuntu full-time, a lot of what I do for work or play has migrated onto the web. So now, it hardly matters what OS I’m using, as long as it supports the Chrome Browser.

Related Article:  Amazon Kindle Touch: How To Rename Your Device

My guess is that your answers will likely be similar, and I’d like to devote a few groovyPosts to addressing those concerns. I believe that Ubuntu can achieve virtually anything that Windows or OS X can without an inordinate amount of hassle. So, tell me why you are reluctant or afraid to use Ubuntu–I’ll be using your feedback to cobble together a comprehensive groovy guide to Ubuntu that should get you up and running with Linux as your everyday operating system.

Take the poll below and please elaborate in the comments.

[Try Ubuntu Now for Free]

Featured image: Ubuntu wallpaper by xsos

, , ,

6 Responses to Poll: What’s Stopping You from Trying Ubuntu?

1. alexmvp April 12, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Great post. I have an old computer running Windows XP still because it’s not powerful enough to run Windows 7. Perhaps it’s time to run Ubuntu…???

My main reason for not switching (as I listed in the survey) is I’m worried all the hardware won’t be supported IE: my printer, my USB mouse and my video card etc…. I don’t play games on that small box but if I were to think about putting it on my MAIN box (Ubuntu) that would probably be why I don’t run it on my main box. Games 🙂

• grooveDexter April 12, 2011 at 11:25 am #

I’d suggest trying a ubuntu build in a virtualbox. You can test it out risk free that way.

2. anon April 12, 2011 at 11:24 am #

No Trim support without jumping through loops for SSD’s. No PC Gaming, wine sux. No gfx card overclocking without jumping through loops. Driver problems for 5800 series gfx card. Gotta really jump through loops for Sensors for temp n voltage readings, apt-get install bunch of stuff then configuring with sudo gedit.
    Monitor resolution problems, gotta edit xrandr & xorg, then if u mess up with those two, the OS can break easy not displaying screen”think they remove xorg in newer version and replaced with xrandr”.
    Used ubuntu from Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog) to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala). Messed with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) & Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) a couple times. At the time I was using 4.10 – 9.10, I had a Pentium 3. Now that I have a powerful system, its all about Windows7.

The only time I use or touch ubuntu nowadays is for v
    netbootin with 10.10 on a USB stick to secure erase my SSD when needed, every 7 months or so.

• groovinJackman April 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks for your feefback, anon — those are some very valid concerns and I’m glad to hear from someone who’s used Ubuntu extensively.

While I agree 100% that those frustrations would be a dealbreaker for me, I’m not sure that casual users would encounter those issues.

And that’s a very good point re: having a computer that’s powerful enough to run Windows 7. Perhaps some of our guides should be geared more towards people who want to rehabilitate/reinvigorate older machines, like your former Pentium 3. I’m noticing some sluggishness these days even on my EEEPC with a 1.6 GHZ ATOM N20

3. johnl April 13, 2011 at 9:53 am #

I tried Ubuntu and quite liked it but it never felt like an OS I could use every day as I always felt there were limitations on what I could do with it compared to Windows. I did try a comparison about three years ago and put XP on one computer and the most recent copy of Ubuntu on the other to see how much quicker it was only to find it was actually slower. The other thing I learned was never to follow the instructions to update the OS. It took over 18 hours. Just wipe it and start again, it is far faster.

The biggest turn off for me and it is a complete deal breaker is that Windows is far easier to use and Windows 7 is just so good. I am not a complete geek and get no pleasure at all from using and learning command lines when I really don’t think they are necessary. I should add that if I were a more basic user of computers, and forgetting the command line issues, then I would use Ubuntu. But I’m not and I won’t.

4. k singh May 7, 2011 at 12:50 am #

Well I did installed Ubuntu thrice. Twice besides XP and once besides win 7. It is great, No Doubt. But still Win OS is more easier to understand and run.
    I can bet, if Ubuntu becomes more easier to install and technically easier to anybody/all Win OS will fail ultimately.
    please try to make it easy going for one and all.