tips

Windows 10 Fix: SERVERNAME is not accessible … A specified logon session does not exist.

Steam Not Recognizing External Drive: 6 Fixes

Are you getting an error about a “specified logon session does not exist” when accessing network drives in Windows 10? Here’s one thing to try to fix it.

So, I got myself a new ASUS router that’s got two USB ports in it. USB ports on WIFI routers allow you to connect an external hard drive and share your files over the network. This worked flawlessly for me with older routers in Windows 7 and Windows 8. Unfortunately, accessing the Samba share I created with my ASUS router seemed to be on the fritz with Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview. Instead of my shared drive being available, I received an error that the specified logon session did not exist.

I get the error message:

\\RT-AC3200-7430 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

specified logon does not exist error

“That’s funny,” I thought. I didn’t recall ever being asked to log in. I suspected this issue was due to the Microsoft account I used to log in. It must have been trying to authenticate using those credentials, rather than the user I had created for my Samba share. If it would have just prompted me to enter my credentials, all would have been right in the world. But I didn’t even get that option.

Luckily, there’s a fix.

Resolving a ‘Specified Logon Session Does Not Exist’ Error

If you run into a “specified logon session does not exist” error message yourself, here’s what you can try to fix it.

1. Hit the Win key and type User to bring up the User Accounts option. Click it.
    User Accounts Panel
  2. Select your user account and click Manage your credentials.
    Manage your Credentials
  3. Select Windows Credentials. Look for your server name under Windows Credentials. If you don’t see it, click Add a Windows credential.
    Windows Credentials
  4. Enter your login and password you created for accessing your Samba share. Click OK.
    Network Location Address
  5. You should now see the server name under Windows Credentials. You can edit or remove them by expanding it with the arrow.
    Windows Credentials Last Modified Sort
  6. Now, when you go to Network in File Explorer, you should be able to click through to your share.
    drive sda1
  7. If you want to map the network drive, right-click a shared folder and select Map network drive…
    map network drive
  8. Since you already plugged in the proper credentials, you can stick with the default settings. Choose a drive letter, click Finish, and you’re done.
    map network folder dialog
  9. Problem solved!
    specified logon session does not exist error resolved

Did this quick tip help you? Or are you still having trouble? Let us know in the comments or shoot me an email and we’ll try to help.

10 Comments

10 Comments

1. cris

November 22, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I had this same issue with a client thanks for the post this really solved the problem

• Steve Krause

November 22, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Well that was quick! Glad the article already helped you solve your issue Cris!

-Steve
      groovyPost

2. Arash

November 23, 2016 at 10:37 pm

You left out the most important part. There IS NO USER NAME AND PASSWORD to enter in that box. My Samba is specifically setup without a username and password. I have the same Asus but it has nothing to do with that, I also have the same issue with my DLink NAS. You noted it yourself that your Samba does not require or have a username and password, (just like my issue) but you skipped that part like all other solutions I find on the web and said “enter your username and password”..

I wonder if Microsoft is getting more stupid by adding an inverse sense of security by blocking access to a Samba drive that Android devices can access without an issue, or password, OR maybe its not Microsoft, its just the people who work there have become total idiots.

• Jack Busch

December 4, 2016 at 1:50 am

Hey Arash – Actually, my Samba share did need a username and pw I just blanked it out on my screenshot. I made a separate account from my router admin login to use on the Samba share. The problem for me was that the acct I made for Samba was different credentials than my Windows logon, which I think were getting used by default without ever asking me.

Did you get it working with your setup?

3. Leo F Zimmerman

November 27, 2016 at 9:51 am

I select Connect Using Different credentials. If you can enter your login name and password for the attached router, just use them and select save and you are done. The key is the router owner (person who set up the router) and the router pass word. How a person finds the correct values can be a problem, if you setup the router a long time ago and did not record the information.

4. Jim D

November 30, 2016 at 11:55 am

My journey this week.

Issue:
    – Unable to browse to volume in DNS-323 NAS using Windows 10 File Explorer or other applications
    – Issue occurred after Telus Router Upgrade Nov 2016
    – The issue occurred on all PC/Laptops running Windows 10 in my network on multiple user accounts.
    – The DNS-323 NAS SERVER-NAME still appears in FE but the user can no longer browse to the existing volume(s)
    – The NAS web administration console is still accessible using a web browser and using the “SERVER-NAME” which correctly resolves to the NAS IP address. (Or you can use the IP address.)
    – iTunes no longer correctly resolves the NAS name for music file locations.
    – I’m using “WORKGROUPS” as the mechanism to share network resources.
    – I am using a Microsoft “cloud” account for authentication (because I’m using Office 365 and OneDrive)

The error message is:
    ==========================================================================
    \\” SERVER-NAME ” is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.
    ============================================================================

Research and diagnostics.
    – I moved a laptop where the issue occurred to another network with an identical NAS DNS-323 and SERVER-NAME, but using a d-link router that had been in service for several months. The issue did not occur which leads me to believe the issue was introduced with the router change, but the router is not necessarily the root cause of the problem.
    – The DNS-323 is an older generation that uses SMB-1 protocol
    – Based on my Google searches, Windows 10 (anniversary edition patched to Nov. 2016) has had a number of documented issues with SMB and NAS devices
    – Numerous re-boots, resets of NAS, Router, PC in various orders.
    – Firmware checked on Router, NAS (no ongoing support)

Work arounds – 2 so far

1) – Change from a Microsoft “cloud” account to a local account.
    a. Go to Settings-> Accounts -> Sign in with a local account instead
    b. You will need to do this with each account in your network on each PC/Laptop
    This fixes the authentication problem but disables all the functionality gained from using a cloud account such as synchronization of user settings.

2) – Add credentials for the NAS into the Windows Credential Manager:
    a. Go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Manage Your Credentials -> Windows Credentials
    b. For each server you wish to access, add in an entry for “SERVER-NAME ” and a username of “user” and password of “user” or other random string (anything appears to work).
    c. You will need to do this with each account in your network on each PC/Laptop
    This fixes the authentication problem but you need to remember to do this if you add a new account. This is my preferred work around. Thank you Jack !

Next Steps
    – Check to see if this is fixed with next Windows 10 update
    – As per work around 1 the issue appears to be associate with Microsoft “cloud” authentication so what string is it passing to the NAS and is the NAS rejecting authentication or is Windows deciding authentication is not possible? How does SMB play in this?
    – I suspect that there is something left in the registry that references the previous router/NAS that may interfere with authentication after replacing the router so will scan registry manually looking for clues.
    – It may be time to upgrade to a new NAS with SMB 2/3 protocol

5. Gregory Hickmott

December 3, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I been working on this issue for a week and this solved it in 30 Sec thanks for this post it made good since in the past it had always come up with a log in screen this is more secure

Thanks Gregory Hickmott MSCE

• Steve Krause

December 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Fantastic! Glad we were able to help solve the issue for ya Gregory.

-Steve
      gPost

6. Milan Kothari

February 1, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Thanks it solved the problem

7. jmbauza

February 4, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It worked for me too, nice and clean solution.
    The problem I am having now is that I don’t remember the login credentials. I am trying to access an external hard drive that I connected to the network long time ago. Any solution for this?