Windows 10 is getting all of the hype this week, since build 10240 was released to Windows Insiders yesterday. However, there are still indeed Windows RT devices out there and users have been wondering if there would be an update for it as well. The answer is yes, and it even has a name.
Windows 8.1 RT Update 3
Yesterday, Gabe Aul announced on Twitter that Windows RT is indeed getting an update, and it will be called Windows 8.1 Update 3. He also said it will be available in September.
@jon5798 Windows 8.1 RT Update 3 will be available in September
— Gabriel Aul (@GabeAul) July 15, 2015
While we don’t know the specifics of what the update will include, this is good news for those of us who actually have a Windows RT device.
I have to admit, I was an early adopter, and bought the first generation Surface RT with a Type keyboard. I figured Windows RT would be a bigger thing than it turned out to be, but this news tells us that Microsoft isn’t giving up on it completely…at least not yet.
If you are one of the few who actually does have an RT device, here are some tips and tricks you might be interested in:
- Prevent Surface RT from Going to Sleep Mode
- Install a MicroSD Card on Surface RT
- Make a MicroSD Card Work with Libraries
- Make Flash Work on Windows RT
- Disable Surface Screen Rotation
- Play Captured Video to Xbox 360
- Use a Scanner with Surface RT
- Upgrade to Final Version of Office 2013
- Pin Facebook Web app to Surface Start Screen
- Make Surface RT Desktop More Touch Friendly
- Protect Microsoft Surface with a Lock Screen
- Copy and Paste in Windows RT
- Search Words on a Page in IE 10
- Flipboard Alternative for Surface RT: Latermarks
Do you have a Windows RT device still? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts on the RT update news.