Microsoft today released Windows 10 Redstone 5 preview build 17682 to insiders in the Fast ring. Like last week’s build 17677, in addition to bug fixes and other improvements, this one includes some new features. Namely improvements to Sets and Microsoft Edge for developers. Here is a look at what you can expect with this week’s new Insider build.
Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build 17682
The Sets UI experience has been updated to make it more obvious that you can launch apps. In today’s post, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlanc note: “When you click the plus button in a Sets window, you will now see apps included in your frequent destinations list. You’ll also find that we’ve integrated the all apps list into this page so you can browse your apps, rather than just using the search box apps that support Sets will launch into a tab when clicked.”
Wireless Projection experience is getting a control banner at the top of the screen with various options that allow better of your presentations. The control banner includes Game, Video, and Productivity modes. Each one is to get optimal display settings for each respective need.
Another interesting thing you might see after installing this build is a “Post-upgrade setup” screen. Since a lot of Insiders have done the initial setup of their testing machine long ago, this build is giving this screen, so you have the option to make any changes you want. You can either work through these options or simply bypass it by clicking “Skip for now”.
In addition to the new features above, here is a list of other fixes and improvements you can expect in today’s build:
- We fixed the issue for Windows Insider Program for Business folks where PCs using AAD accounts to receive new flights (via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program) where they would see a “Fix me” option presented and couldn’t to receive the latest flights.
- We’re experimenting with adding tips and suggestions to the Settings homepage. If you see one of these, you can choose to opt out by clicking the “…” in the top corner.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps missing pinned and recent items when you right-clicked their icons in the taskbar.
- We fixed an issue resulting in File Explorer showing blank/generic icons for any file type associated with a UWP app.
- We fixed an issue where Alt + Tab would sometimes unexpectedly have duplicate entries for app windows in recent flights.
- We fixed a crash when asking Cortana to play any music in recent flights. This issue also impacted the ability to launch apps using voice commands.
- We fixed an issue where if the taskbar jump list didn’t show (for example if you clicked away before it finished launching), the next time you watched a video full screen the taskbar would unexpectedly appear on top of the video.
- We fixed an issue where you couldn’t scroll to the end of the clipboard items list (WIN + V) using mouse wheel/touchpad.
- We fixed an issue where the wallpaper and app preview thumbnails were unexpectedly flipped when using Task View in Arabic or other bidirectional display languages.
- Screen snipping (WIN + Shift + S, or other entry points) will now default to rectangular snipping. Your most recent mode selection (rectangular or freeform) is preserved across invocations, so you may not notice a change if you have already been using this experience.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the “Add a feature” page in Settings not finding any features in the last few builds.
- We fixed an issue where text written using OTF fonts wouldn’t show up when printed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps failing to launch recently with application error 0xc0000005 when certain antivirus software programs were installed.
- We fixed an issue impacting certain touch-capable devices where all Bluetooth accessories would periodically stop working until the screen was touched.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some explorer.exe hangs when using Remote Desktop, projecting your screen, or having multiple monitors in recent flights. This issue may also have led to Microsoft Edge hangs.
- We fixed an issue resulting in multiple Win32 apps and system components becoming unresponsive after waking from sleep in the last two flights.
As with all preview builds, there are known issues (many with Sets & Office) and other small changes. Make sure to read the full announcement for all of the developer notes.