Microsoft released the latest Redstone 5 build today that includes several new features for Edge, IT admin tools, and even Notepad improvements.
Microsoft today released Windows 10 Redstone 5 Build 17713 for Insiders in the Fast ring. Similar to its predecessor, build 17711, it includes a lot of new tweaks and system improvements. This build has new updates for Microsoft Edge, Inking, and IT admin features. It also included new features for one of the oldest Windows programs — Notepad. Here is a look at some of what you can expect with today’s new release.
Windows 10 Preview Build 17713
Microsoft Edge is getting updates to its autoplay video blocking as well as to the PDF toolbar. Also, the ability to lookup definitions while using Reading View for sites, eBooks, and PDFs.
Notepad is getting many new user-requested improvements including Wrap-around, find/replace, Text Zooming, and Line Number with word-wrap.
There are also new features for IT admins including improvements to Windows Defender Application Guard, Web sign-in to Windows 10 that supports non-ADFS federated providers, and Remote Desktop with Biometrics that works with Windows Hello.
In addition to the changes above, here is a look at some of the other general changes and system improvements included in today’s build:
- We fixed an issue where the state of a Narrator command such as toggling Scan Mode on and off, volume up and down, voice speed, changing verbosity and context verbosity commands may not be announced when executed.
- We fixed an issue where you could see pixel-thin lines in the fluent shadows depending on where the popup UI had been invoked.
- We fixed an issue where some of the text on the Settings > Privacy > File System page under “Allow apps to access your Filesystem” has some unusual characters in the place of spaces.
- We’ve made some improvements to the performance when loading the Language Settings page.
- We fixed an issue where powercfg /batteryreport was missing numbers in certain languages.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps failing to update via the Microsoft Store with error 0x8007019A if the update was paused and then resumed.
- We’ve adjusted the design of the “Settings and more”/“…” menu in Microsoft Edge so that the text “New inPrivate window” will no longer be clipped and added tips about the keyboard shortcuts for creating a new window and new inPrivate window.
- We fixed an issue where imported favorites on favorites bar in Microsoft Edge may not always load favicons.
- We fixed an issue that could result in an unclosable inPrivate window if it was created by dragging an inPrivate tab out of an existing Microsoft Edge window.
- We fixed an issue resulting comments with markdown on github.com not previewing correctly in Microsoft Edge.
- When viewing the certificate details for a website in Microsoft Edge, the text is now selectable so you can copy it out if needed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some sites showing an unexpected small blank tooltip when hovering over text fields in Microsoft Edge in the previous flight.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl-key combos on the wide touch keyboard layout wouldn’t work in website text fields when using Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue resulting in an open PDF in Microsoft Edge crashing in the previous flight if you right-clicked on the PDF to bring up the generic context menu.
- We fixed a high hitting DWM crash in the previous flight.
As is the case with all preview builds, there are also several known issues with this latest build. Make sure to read Microsoft’s full post on all changes, known issues, workarounds, and developer notes.