Microsoft today released Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build 17686 to Insiders in the Fast ring. Today’s new version comes out on the heels of last week’s Build 17682 and it includes updates to the Local Experience Settings page, Mixed Reality improvements, Privacy improvements, and more. Here is a look at what to expect with this latest build.
Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build
Improved Local Experience is a new section in Settings that allows you to override default region format settings for Calendar, Firs day of the week, Dates, Currency, and Time. In addition, Local Experience Packs are available for Microsoft Store apps to improve language quality displays. You can access it by heading to Settings > Time & Language > Region.
There are also improved privacy settings for your device’s microphone, Windows Mixed Reality improvements, and more. In addition to the features listed above, here is a list of other fixes and improvements you can expect in today’s build:
- We fixed an issue resulting in frequent bugchecks on the previous build with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error.
- Settings > Gaming > Game DVR has been renamed “Captures”.
- We fixed an issue where Paint and WordPad settings and recent files weren’t migrated during upgrades.
- While we still have some work to do, you’ll find that when you update to this build, File Explorer will look a lot more complete in dark theme.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the “Replace or skip files” dialog having some unexpected dark elements in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where the Japanese IME’s big mode indicator would appear in the center of the screen when bringing up UAC even if the mode indicator had been disabled in Settings.
- We fixed an issue where the taskbar flyouts (network, volume, etc) didn’t have a shadow.
- We fixed an issue where clicking on the plus button in the Clock and Calendar flyout from the taskbar didn’t do anything in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Command Prompt’s cursor appearing invisible in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a high number of reliability issues when switching to the Microsoft Pinyin IME in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where the Emoji Panel might not dismiss if you clicked somewhere else on the screen.
As with all preview builds, there are known issues (still many with Sets & Office) and with the Dark Theme for File Explorer and other small changes. Make sure to read the full announcement for all of the developer notes.