Microsoft today released Windows 10 Preview Build 17677 which included improvements to Microsoft Edge and mobile broadband connectivity.
Microsoft today released Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build 17672 to Insiders in the Fast ring. Unlike last week’s preview build 17672, this one does contain some new features. This build includes improvements to Microsoft Edge mobile broadband as well as bug fixes and overall improvements. Here is a look at what you can expect in this latest Insider preview.
Windows 10 (RS5) Preview Build 17677
Microsoft Edge has a new redesigned “Settings and More” menu with options organized into groups, icons for each entry, and keyboard shortcuts. You can now view your top visited sites from the Edge Jump List on the taskbar or Start Menu. Today’s build also includes an easier way to organize groups of tabs you set aside in Edge.
Mobile Broadband (LTE) connectivity continues to receive improvements including a Mobile Broadband USB driver based on NetAdapter framework that was introduced earlier in Build 17655. “Starting with this build, the MBB USB NetAdapter driver becomes the default driver. To try this out – install this build on a PC that relies on mobile broadband for cellular connectivity and setup cellular connectivity and turn off Wi-fi,” Microsoft explains in today’s blog post.
In addition to the new features above, here is a list of other features and improvements in today’s build:
- We fixed an issue causing Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Chinese and Japanese characters not rendering correctly in Command Prompt.
- We fixed an issue where double-clicking text in Command Prompt only selected up to the first punctuation mark, not up to the space.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Home and End keys not working in Microsoft Edge in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a high volume of reliability issues in any XAML surface using Reveal in the previous flight.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps like Adobe XD from crashing on launch in recent flights.
- When you press F1 in Microsoft Edge it will now take you to the Microsoft Edge support page, rather than Microsoft Edge tips.
- When a tab in Microsoft Edge is playing audio, the volume icon in the tab will now light up when you hover your mouse over it.
- When you open local files (like PDFs) in Microsoft Edge, those files will now appear in the History section.
- We fixed an issue where downloading files in Microsoft Edge could appear stuck on doing the security scan.
- We fixed a recent issue where Ctrl + Shift + Left to select backwards in Notepad wouldn’t work at the end of a line.
- When you execute “start cmd” from a Command Prompt window, a new Command Prompt tab will now be created if you have Sets enabled. This will also work for other start launches, like “start notepad”. To start something in a new window you can use the new /newwindow flag, for example “start /newwindow notepad”.
- We fixed the issue that was preventing users from enabling Developer Mode through the For developers settings page.
Of course, with all preview builds, there are known issues (namely with the Sets feature with Office) and other small changes. Make sure to read the full announcement for all of the developer notes.