Yes, we are still waiting for Redstone 4 to roll out to everyone, but the company continues to move forward with the next version in Redstone 5. Microsoft today released Redstone 5 Build 17655 to Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring. This version comes with several improvements and fixes as well as a makeover for Mobile Broadband (LTE) connectivity.
Windows 10 RS5 Build 17655
Mobile Broadband in this version is getting a makeover as the company is transforming the networking stack with the Net Adapter Framework. In today’s blog post the company notes: “This framework introduces a new, more reliable, network driver model that inherits the goodness of the Windows driver framework while bringing an accelerated data path.” If your PC supports LTE, make sure to check out today’s post for instructions on how to set up your SIM.
In addition to the new Mobile Broadband features, there are other changes and improvements, too. Here is the list of other changes and fixes you can expect in this build:
- In this build, the brightness toggle from the Battery flyout in the Notification Area on the taskbar has been removed for an improved user experience.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where dragging a favorite from one folder in the favorites bar to another didn’t work.
As with all Insider builds there are known issues which include some of the following:
- We’re investigating an issue where the mouse cursor may disappear when hovering over certain UI elements and text fields.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
- We’re aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we’re working on a fix.
- Using arrow and Page Up / Page Down keys doesn’t work to scroll webpages in Microsoft Edge. You’ll need to use another input method (mouse, touch, or touchpad).
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
It’s also with noting that if you’re enjoying the new Sets tabbed feature, there is a number of known issues in this build with using Sets with Microsoft Office. The Sets and Office compatibility was first introduced in Redstone 5 Build 17643. Make sure to read the full release notes for all known issues, and improvements to the Mobile Broadband framework.