Late this afternoon Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Preview Build 17650 for Insiders in Skip Ahead. This is the first new build since last week’s Build 17643 which introduced Sets and Office 365 app compatibility. Today’s release isn’t as feature rich as that, but it does include an improved Fluent Design refresh for Windows Defender Security Center and other improvements. Here is a look at some of what you can expect in today’s new build.
Windows 10 Redstone 5 Build 17650
Microsoft continues to revamp the overall UI of the OS with its FLuent Design and in this build, we get to see the new look of Windows Defender Security Center. In today’s post, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlanc note: “You’ll also notice we’ve adjusted the spacing and padding around the app and will now dynamically size the categories on the main page if more room is needed for extra info. Last but not least, we’ve also updated the title bar of the app so that it will now use your accent color if you’ve enabled that option in Color Settings – with Sets enabled, you will see this color in the WDSC tab.”
Another change in this build is aimed at the hardcore techies. Windows Defender Firewall now supports the Windows Subsystem for Linux. You can add specific rules to the firewall as you would for typical Windows processes.
In addition to the new improvements listed above, here is the list of other changes and fixes you can expect in this build:
- We fixed an issue where File Explorer would always open with the ribbon minimized, rather than remembering how you’d left it.
- We fixed an issue where elements on the main page of the Windows Defender Security Center app would slightly change size on mouse hover.
- We fixed an issue where non-default languages might unexpectedly have the option to remove in Settings greyed out.
- We fixed an issue where the Color Filters and High Contrast icons were switched in Settings.
- We fixed an issue where clicking links in Settings that launched other apps would result in Settings crashing and nothing else happening.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some people experiencing a Settings crash when navigating to Apps > Default Apps > Set defaults by App.
Of course, as will all preview builds, there are several known issues as well. Be sure to read the full release notes to review all known issues and new features.