Microsoft today is releasing Windows 10 20H1 preview build 18990 to insiders in the Fast ring. This comes on the heels of last week’s build 18985 which included improvements to Bluetooth and Snip & Sketch. Similar to last week’s build, this one is light on new features. But it does include improvements to UWP apps, WSL, and Xbox Game Bar.
Windows 10 20H1 Build 18990
Automatic restart for UWP apps is being introduced. Microsoft explains: “To reduce sign-in time, UWP apps are restarted minimized, in a suspended state, giving Windows and other apps more resources to get started.”
- Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) improvements include the following:
Improved the performance for directory listings in \\wsl$
- [WSL2] Injected additional boot entropy [Github Issue 4461]
- [WSL2] Fixed Windows interop when using su / sudo commands [Github issue 4465]
And a FPS counter and achievement overlay is being added to the Xbox Game Bar.
In addition to the improvements listed above, here is the list of other changes and fixes to expect in today’s build:
- We fixed an issue where right-clicking on File Explorer’s search box didn’t bring up a context menu that could be used to paste clipboard contents.
- We’ve updated the default width of the search box in File Explorer to be a little bigger.
- We fixed an issue impacting Action Center reliability.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the credentials prompt sometimes not appearing when connecting to certain VPNs from the network flyout, so it said Connecting but never completed the connection.
- We fixed Magnifier bugs at different DPI levels.
- We fixed an issue where Magnifier UI wasn’t closing with Alt + F4 keyboard shortcut.
- We fixed an issue where sometimes Magnifier window became completely black after switching from lens mode to dock mode.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Magnifier not working when using the Russian display language.
- We have made it clearer how “Read from here” works in Magnifier.
- We improved legibility of Magnifier reading highlighting rectangle.
- We improved reading while in Magnifier Lens mode.
- We fixed an issue where text cursor indicator sometimes did not appear, even though the setting was enabled.
- We made the text cursor indicator shapes more legible and aesthetic.
- We fixed an issue in Narrator where changing the speech rate with the keyboard commands would speak the new rate using the old rate.
- We fixed Narrator’s whitespace sound.
- We improved Narrator’s automatic dialog reading experience.
- Table navigation hotkeys are now allowed when entering a list view to allow one to navigate across columns while using Narrator.
- We improved the Narrator’s Page Summary dialog by allowing tab and shift-tab to loop around the dialog controls.
- Narrator will no longer announce notifications from non-focused Chrome webpages.
- Narrator now announces the current value of the “thumb” in legacy color picker controls.
- Narrator is now presenting links and play buttons correctly in iTunes.
- We improved Narrator’s reading experience in Chrome and Firefox. Certain pages could cause Narrator to loop back up to previous content.
- Narrator is now updating an attached braille display correctly when some XAML controls are expanded.
- Thank you to everyone who shared feedback about the design of the input mode switcher on the taskbar for the Simplified and Traditional Chinese IMEs. We’ve adjusted the design based on your feedback that the icon glyph was large and blurry.
- We fixed an issue where some Chinese characters in the Common Standard Chinese Characters dictionary couldn’t be input with the new version of the Simplified Chinese IME.
- We fixed an issue where, when switching to English input mode and back to Chinese input mode, the punctuations would become Chinese punctuations, even if “Use English punctuations when in Chinese input mode” was enabled with the new version of Simplified Chinese IME.
- We fixed an issue where the new version of Simplified Chinese IME candidate window would sometimes not appear.
- We fixed an issue where the new version of the Traditional Chinese Bopomofo IME didn’t show candidates or next phrase candidates on touch keyboard.
- We fixed an issue where characters typed with the new version of Chinese Traditional IMEs weren’t committed by Enter key when using certain games.
- We fixed an issue where the legacy language bar didn’t show IME mode icons while using the new version of Japanese IME, Chinese Traditional IME, or Korean IME.
- We fixed an issue where the new version of Japanese IME wouldn’t reconvert a word pasted from somewhere else by Henkan key.
Remember that Windows 10 20H1 is an Insider build that will include the feature the updates we expect to see next Spring. Microsoft announced that build 19H2 will basically be a service pack which is expected to be released soon.
As always, keep in mind that Insider builds you can expect a lot of bugs and other issues for both users and developers alike. Make sure to read Microsoft’s full blog post for all changes, known issues, and workarounds.