Microsoft released a new preview build for Redstone 5 for Insiders today. There aren’t as many new features as the last one, but here’s what you can expect.
Microsoft today released Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build 17672 to Insiders in the Fast ring. There aren’t as many new features in this version as there were in last week’s Build 17666 but there are plenty of bug fixes and overall improvements.
However, there is one major change to Windows Security Center. In today’s blog post, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlanc note: “Products that have not yet implemented this will not appear in the Windows Security UI, and Windows Defender Antivirus will remain enabled side-by-side with these products.” For testing you can disable it by creating the following Registry key and rebooting:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Feature\DisableAvCheck (DWORD) = 1
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17672
Here is the list of some of the other changes and improvement to expect in this build:
- We fixed an issue where right-clicking to copy text in Microsoft Edge didn’t work in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue with structuredquery.dll resulting some users experiencing a cyclical explorer.exe crash.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the two-finger gesture to dismiss all notifications not working in the Action Center.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Korean IME sometimes entering duplicate characters when typing into text fields in certain websites in Microsoft Edge.
- You can now refresh the Books pane in Microsoft Edge using a pull gesture.
- When you pin books to Start from Microsoft Edge you will now see a live tile that cycles between the book cover and your current completion progress.
- When printing PDFs from Microsoft Edge, you’ll find a new option to choose the scale of your print out (Actual size, or Fit to page).
- We’ve updated Timeline so that in addition to seeing the number of available tabs to restore associated with a particular Sets activity, you can now cycle through them.
- We’ve made some adjustments to improve the quality of audio when recording clips using the game bar (WIN+G). Thanks, everyone who shared feedback about this – please take a moment to try it out in today’s build and let us know how it goes.
- We fixed an issue that could result in apps sometimes not fully maximizing to the top of the screen.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain devices not being able to wake from sleep in the last two flights (just showed a black screen).
- When you hover over the leaf icon in Task Manager’s Status column, you will now see a tooltip describing what it means (this app is suspending processes to help improve system performance).
- Building on our work from Build 17639, in addition to showing Bluetooth battery level in Settings for supported devices, you will now see a notification when one of those devices is low on battery.
- For our WSL fans out there: if you’ve enabled WSL, you’ll now see an option to “Open Linux Shell here” when you Shift + Right-click on the whitespace of a File Explorer folder.
- We’ve introduced preview support for same-site cookies in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11.
Of course, with all preview builds there are known issues and other small changes. For more, make sure to read Microsoft’s post for full developer notes.