Although Microsoft managed to deliver a new Office 2016 Suite for Mac users a few weeks ago, they unfortunately didn’t include an update to its chat client Lync for Mac. According to Microsoft insiders, although Skype for Business on the Mac platform isn’t slated for release until the end of Q4 2015, it’s more likely we won’t see the new client until Q1 2016 — after they release Microsoft Office for Blackberry. (smile)
While we wait for the new client, Microsoft continues to update its legacy Lync for Mac 2011 client. This week Microsoft released what it calls the “July 2015 Update” version 14.1.1 aka KB3074981.
This latest releases of Lync for Mac 2011 includes over a dozen bug fixes and other updates. Although it’s not the rewrite we’re all waiting for, it’s a welcome release being that we’ve not seen an update to the client since March.
Here’s a quick rundown of all the fixes in the update:
- KB 3074996 Call forwarding option for “Only forward or simultaneously ring during work hours” is unavailable in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3074995 Lync Lync for Mac 2011 disconnects every 30 seconds after you use a certificate that bases TLS-DSK authentication to sign in
- KB 3074993 Hide Stage button does not work after a user shares the desktop in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3074992 MAC address is not provided in the LIS request in Lync for Mac 2011 that supports Enhanced 911
- KB 3074990 Multiple contact card options are greyed out in Lync for Mac 2011 when enhanced privacy mode is enabled
- KB 3074989 Cannot update presence note in Lync for Mac 2011 that has lots of contacts
- KB 3074988 System volume on Mac is reset every time when you start or join a meeting in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3074987 Lync Energy usage for Lync for Mac 2011 is increased on a MacBook Pro that has two graphic processing units exist
- KB 3074986 The icons of distribution groups are greyed out when you send an IM or start a call in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3074985 Lync for Mac 2011 takes a long time to connect to Exchange server by using Autodiscover service
- KB 3074983 Wireless network connections are incorrectly reported as wired in VQReportEvent element in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3074982 Default installation preferences settings are not honored when you join a Lync online meeting in Lync for Mac 2011
- KB 3037355 Lync for Mac 2011 users cannot join Lync meetings that is created in Lync Web Scheduler
To install the update, grab the V150716 download – KB3074981 and install over the top of your existing Lync client. The download is only 39.6MB and takes no longer than a few minutes to get patched. I recommend all users get it installed immediately.