Windows 7: Create a Shortcut to Lock Your Computer

If you want to lock your Windows workstation there are a couple of different key combinations you can use. You can also create a shortcut and pin it on the Windows 7 Taskbar.

First right click the Desktop and select New >> Shortcut.

sshot-2011-12-08-[03-43-08]

In the Create Shortcut window type: Rundll32.exe User32.dll,LockWorkStation. Click Next.
sshot-2011-12-08-[05-05-16]

Give the shortcut a name like Lock Computer and click Finish.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-05-56]

The Lock Computer icon appears on the Desktop. Right click on it and select Properties.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-06-32]

In the Properties window select the Shortcut tab. Click Change Icon.

sshot-2011-12-08-[05-06-49]

Now type: C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll into the Look for Icons in This File field. Select the icon you want to use for the shortcut and click OK.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-17-38]

Set the Run dropdown menu to Minimized, then click OK.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-24-20]

Then drag the Lock Computer icon you just created to the Taskbar and pin it.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-25-22]

Now you can click the icon to lock your computer.

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-27-56]

sshot-2011-12-08-[19-30-13]

If you’re a keyboard master, use [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] then select Lock Computer. Or you can use [Windows Key][L].

14 Responses to Windows 7: Create a Shortcut to Lock Your Computer

1. Rajesh December 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

like it !!!

2. Austin Krause December 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I always use Windows Key + L, but this is very nice for touch-screens – especially if it works with Windows 8!

• KG December 11, 2011 at 2:42 am #

Wouldn’t the Control-Alt-Delete combo work? I guess it is an extra step, but it seems to work for me every time….

• Noah June 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Yes! I don’t even know why they made this article. Windows Key+L is built in!

• James Perkins January 5, 2016 at 10:27 am #

I found this useful. I use my Ubuntu workstation mouse and keyboard provide most of the input to my Windows 7 notebook via the Synergy app, and avoid touching the notebook keyboard most of the time.

Since the remote computer keyboard is not a keyboard master, the WindowsKey + L method is not honored. I have set my shortcut key combination to Ctrl + Alt + L, which is the same as Ubuntu.

I still have to touch the noteboook keyboard to enter Ctrl + Alt + Del and password, but that’s all I need it for.

3. Ritesh July 27, 2016 at 8:25 pm #

awesome !!! this is very userful. Thank you

4. Vaibhav Dingre October 23, 2016 at 2:19 am #

Thanks a million for this tiny yet most useful setting and the keyboard shortcut.

5. hydralisk December 13, 2016 at 9:03 am #

At my work I have to lock the workstation every time when I’m leaving the desk… On the Linux machine I’ve changed the shortcut from Ctrl + Alt + L to Pause/Break button, which is very convenient, and not used by any program.
    Is it possible to change Win + L, to Pause/Break button on Windows without third party programs?

I don’t know why the aren’t using that button…

• Steve Krause December 13, 2016 at 11:11 am #

Not that I’m aware of. This is a “BASE OS” function and Microsoft is fairly picky with the LOCK function. There is a way in the registry to disable Win+L however, I don’t think there is a native function to reassign the keys to lock Windows 10 (or previous version).

• Austin December 13, 2016 at 11:16 am #

It can be scripted with autohotkey, or better yet I believe if you make a shortcut like in the article above you can assign a keyboard shortcut to run the shortcut.

• hydralisk December 14, 2016 at 4:54 am #

Unfortunately I can’t assign Pause/Break button as a shortcut to run the shortcut… But with autohotkey I should do this 🙂

Thank you.

• Noah Gregory December 13, 2016 at 11:24 am #

My Linux works with Win-L

6. trailmax January 12, 2017 at 9:52 am #

I work from home and we have a 2 month baby. Many times I find myself with a baby in one hand and a need to lock the workstation. Win+L assumes (on my keyboard) you have 2 hands on the keyboard.
    This shortcut saves the day since it can be operated with a mouse!

7. some guy May 26, 2017 at 8:35 am #

thanks computer dude!! saves me a lot of hassle. i pinned it to my taskbar so now its right next to the windows/start button thingy.