How to Vote in Discord
Setting up polls can be a great way to settle debates in Discord or just a way to have a bit of fun. Read on to learn how to vote in Discord.
Running a Discord server can be fun, but with great power comes great responsibility. The more people that join your server, the higher the number of differing opinions.
If you want to make decisions about the direction of your server, allowing people to vote can be a fair and democratic way to do so. You might also want to create a poll just for a bit of fun or to gauge interest in potential new ideas for your server. The good news is that setting up a poll in Discord is fairly quick and easy to do.
If you want to know how to vote in Discord, here’s what you’ll need to do.
How to Create Your Own Vote in Discord
If you just want to create a simple vote in Discord, you can make one yourself by making use of emoji reactions. Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose the server and channel where you want to set up your poll.
- Click the gear icon next to the channel name.
- Click on Permissions.
- Under Advanced Permissions, click the green check mark next to Add Reactions and Read Message History, then click Save Changes. This will ensure that everyone can see the poll and cast their vote.
- Click the X icon in the top right-hand corner of the window to exit.
- Type your poll question into the channel’s message box and press Enter.
- Hover over your poll question, and click on the icon of a smiling emoji with a plus sign.
- Select an emoji to represent one option of your poll. Thumbs-up and thumbs-down emojis are a good choice for yes or no votes.
- Repeat the previous step to add another emoji to represent the second option of your poll.
- Let the members of your channel cast their votes by clicking on either of the emojis. You can use the tag @everyone to notify every member of the channel about the vote.
- When the vote is over, the emoji with the highest total count is the winner.
You can use more than two options if you wish, but the more options you add, the more complicated it becomes. If you need a more in-depth poll, then you might want to try the following method instead.
How to Vote in Discord Using a Poll Bot
A simple way to create a vote is to set up a bot on Discord that has a polling feature. There are a number of ready-made poll bots available that you can use, provided that you are a server manager or administrator.
In this example, we’re using the Easy Poll Discord bot, but others exist with similar functionality.
To vote on Discord using Easy Poll:
- Navigate to the Easy Poll Discord Bot website.
- Click on Add to Server.
- Log in with your Discord credentials.
- Choose the server you want to create the poll in, and click Continue.
- Check that you are happy to grant the listed permission, and then click Authorize. The bot will be added to your server.
- Navigate to the channel where you want to create your vote, and type /poll in the channel message box.
- Press the Tab key.
- Type in the question for your poll and press the Tab key again.
- Click on Answer 1 and type in the first option for your poll, then press the Tab key again.
- Click on Answer 2 and type in the second option for your poll.
- Repeat until you have entered all the answers you need, then press the Enter key.
- Your poll will now be created, with a list of options, and letter emojis underneath that people can use to cast their votes.
- You can use the tag @everyone to notify every member of the channel that there is a poll that can vote on.
- When the vote is over, the letter emoji with the highest total count is the winner.
There are additional features in Easy Poll that you can use to modify your polls once you’ve got a handle on how to vote in Discord. You can select these options when creating your poll, such as setting the maximum number of votes each person can make (the default setting is one). It’s also possible to set the poll to be anonymous so that no one can see the results until the poll is closed.
You can also use the command /timepoll to create a poll that only runs for a set amount of time.
Get More Out of Discord
Learning how to vote in Discord is just one of the ways that you can make the most of the popular group chatting app. There are plenty of other features that can make your experience even more enjoyable.
For example, you could learn how to stream Netflix on Discord, how to add roles in Discord, or even how to kick or ban someone on Discord. The more you know, the better equipped you will be to keep your channel running smoothly and make it an enjoyable place for all of your members.
If the idea of kicking people out of your server makes you feel a little uncomfortable, remember that you don’t have to be in charge. You can always just delete your server and join someone else’s.