A big benefit of having AirPod Pros is the ability to block out outside noise. Here’s how to turn on noise canceling on AirPods.
One of the popular features of the AirPod Pro is the ability to enable noise cancellation to block all outside noise. While this is an excellent feature, you may not know how to turn it on or off.
When you use your AirPods, you’ll need an Apple device like an iPhone or iPad to switch this feature on or off. You can also cycle between three different noise cancellation modes.
If you recently got a new set of Apple’s in-ear buds, here’s how to turn on noise canceling on AirPods (or turn it off again).
How to Turn On Noise Canceling on AirPods
One of the cool features of the AirPod Pro is you can use Control Center on your iPhone or iPad to turn on the noise canceling feature or disable it.
To manage noise canceling on AirPods:
- To begin, you need to open the Control Center by swiping down from the top of the left screen down. It’s where the Wi-Fi and Battery icon is located.
- When Control Center opens, tap and hold the Volume Slider to expand it.
- Tap the Noise Cancellation button under the volume slider.
- You have three options to choose from, including Noise Cancellation, Off, and Transparency. Tap Noise Cancellation to enable the feature on your AirPods Pro.
Note that Transparency allows some environmental noise through, while Off disables the feature entirely.
How to Turn on Noise Cancellation Directly on AirPods Pro
Using Control Center on your phone to manage noise cancellation is straightforward, but you can also do it by pressing the AirPods.
To turn noise cancellation on or off directly on AirPods Pro, press and hold the Force Sensor on the stem of a pod. You’ll hear a chime—it will switch between modes each time you press it.
Each mode has a different type of chime that allows you to determine which mode it’s in. You can do this on either the left or right earpiece.
For example, you don’t need to simultaneously press the Force Sensor on both.
Customize AirPods Pro Controls
It’s also worth noting that you can customize what the Force Sensor button does.
For example, you can select which modes it cycles through, like turning noise cancellation on or off only.
To customize your AirPods Pro controls:
- Ensure your AirPods are connected to your iPhone or iPad and tap the Settings button.
- Tap the Bluetooth option from the menu.
- Tap the information icon on the right side of your AirPods Pro.
- Under the Press and Hold AirPods section, choose either the Left or Right AirPod.
- Now you can choose different Noise Control options like only having it on when you press the Force Sensor and turning it off after pressing it again.
- Another cool thing you can do is have it enable Siri when you press the other one, for example. Or you can have Siri launch when you press either one and keep the noise cancellation settings as they are.
Noise Canceling on AirPods
If you have a set of AirPods Pro and are annoyed by outside distractions by listening to your music, the noise canceling feature is excellent. However, you don’t need the noise canceling feature for regular AirPods to be helpful.
Don’t have an iPhone? You can connect AirPods to a Windows 11 PC. You can also use use AirPods on Android. If you’re having problems with your AirPods and Mac, check out these fixes for AirPods not connecting to your Mac.
Want to upgrade your AirPods? If you want noise canceling on the AirPod Pro for an immersive listening experience, you can get them at some pretty good prices on Amazon these days.
Amazon.com Price updated on 2023-01-23 - We may earn a commission for purchases using our links: more info