Are you thinking about launching your own podcast? If so, Spotify is a great place to build an audience for it. Here’s how to launch a Spotify podcast.
It’s no exaggeration to state that Spotify has changed how we consume music. While it wasn’t the first music streaming platform, it remains one of the biggest music streaming platforms in the world.
There’s more to Spotify than music streaming, however. Spotify also allows you to stream podcasts, and you can even add your very own podcast to Spotify.
If you’re thinking about launching a podcast of your own, then read on to learn how to start a podcast on Spotify.
Ensure Your Podcast Meets Spotify’s Requirements
Before you start the process, it’s important that your podcast meets a set of requirements to be featured on Spotify.
To launch a Spotify podcast, you need to ensure your podcast has:
- A high bitrate MP3 format (128 kbps or higher) or MP4 with AAC-LC.
- No longer than 12 hours per episode.
- High-quality square podcast images with a 1:1 aspect ratio in TIFF, PNG, or JPEG format.
Uploading Your Podcast to a Podcast Hosting Platform
Spotify doesn’t host podcasts itself—it merely provides access to podcasts that are hosted elsewhere. If your podcast isn’t already hosted somewhere, you’ll need to set that up first.
If you’re looking for a free service that will definitely work with Spotify, then you might want to consider Anchor.fm. This is Spotify’s own free podcasting platform that allows you to upload, distribute, and even monetize your podcast.
There are many options to choose from, however. Spotify will accept podcasts from a wide range of popular podcast hosting sites, including Acast, Buzzsprout, Audioboom, Podbean, and Transistor. You’ll need to use a host that provides RSS feed links, but most podcast hosting sites will do so.
How to Add Your Podcast to Spotify
Once your podcast is set up on a podcast hosting site, you can add it to Spotify.
To add your podcast to Spotify:
- Open the Spotify for Podcasters website in your browser.
- If you don’t have an account, click on Sign Up For Spotify and enter your details.
- Click Get Started and sign in to your Spotify account.
- Enter the link to your podcast’s RSS feed. You’ll be able to find this on your podcast hosting site.
- If your link is valid, you’ll be able to click on Next at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on Send Code and an 8-digit code will be sent to the email address associated with your RSS feed.
- Once you receive the code, enter it and click Next. The code will only be valid for an hour.
- Enter your podcast details, including language, category, and hosting service, then click Next.
- Check that your details are correct, and then click Submit.
Once you’ve submitted your podcast, you’ll need to wait for it to be verified by Spotify. This can take anything from a few hours to a day. Once your podcast is verified, it will be live on Spotify for anyone to find and stream through the platform.
The good news is that once you know how to start a podcast on Spotify, you don’t need to worry about adding more content. As you add new episodes to your podcast hosting site, these will automatically be picked up through your RSS feed and added to Spotify.
Making the Most of Spotify
Now you know how to start a podcast on Spotify, you’ll want to be sure that you know to make the most of the music streaming app.
You can learn how to listen to Spotify with friends so that they can give you feedback on your podcast. In order to do so, you’ll need to know how to add friends on Spotify in the first place. You can even keep track of what you’ve been listing to if you know how to view your Spotify listening history.
Just make sure it’s not all your own podcast.