Need to sort through your emails? Gmail allows you to sort by sender easily. This guide will show you how.
Emails, emails everywhere—how on earth can you sort through them all?
If you’re using Gmail, the answer is simple. There are a number of useful search features in Gmail that will let you sort your emails by their sender. This makes it easy to find the emails you’re looking for, saving you time—especially if your inbox is overflowing.
Want to get started? Learn how to sort by sender in Gmail by following the steps below.
Using the Find Emails From Tool
If you’re trying to look for all of the emails from a single sender, the easiest method (if you’re using the Gmail website) is to use the Find Emails From tool.
To sort emails in Gmail using this method:
- Open the Gmail website.
- Find an email from a sender you’re looking for in your inbox.
- Select the email and right-click.
- Press the Find emails from option in the pop-up menu.
By doing this, your Gmail inbox will update to show all of the emails from a single recipient quickly. You can then sort through, categorize, or delete the emails accordingly.
Using Search Criteria to Sort By Sender in Gmail
You can also use the Gmail search bar to find and sort emails in Gmail. This is a quick enough process, but you’ll need to know the email address you’re looking for.
To use the search bar to sort emails in Gmail:
- Open the Gmail website.
- In the search bar, type from: followed by an email address (eg. from:email@example.com) or domain name (eg. from:groovypost.com).
- Press the Enter key—your Gmail search results will update to show the matching emails.
- To use advanced search criteria, press the Show search options button on the search bar.
- Make changes to the search criteria (such as searching for words in the subject or email body) and press Search.
Once you’ve run the search to find and sort through your Gmail inbox, you can open, move, delete, or label the emails.
How to Sort by Sender in the Gmail App
To sort by sender in the Gmail app:
- Open the Gmail app.
- Tap the search bar.
- Tap From.
- In the pop-up menu, type in an email address or select a contact.
- If you type in an email address, select it from the menu below to begin the search.
Your inbox will update to sort the emails, allowing you to make further changes (eg. move or delete) afterward.
Organizing Your Gmail Inbox
The steps above can help you to sort by sender in Gmail. This is just one way to help you search through and organize your Gmail inbox for the better.
For example, you could delete all of your Gmail emails to wipe the slate clean and start again. You can also change your Gmail name, especially if you want to hide your real name from your recipients.
Want to really fix up your inbox? You can always start to use Gmail labels to filter and organize emails by sender or purpose.