Controlling music playback from your phone can sometimes be inconvenient. Instead, you can skip songs with AirPods on an iPhone. This guide explains how.
Sometimes you need to skip to the following song from the album you’re listening to. However, you may not have your iPhone or iPad close enough that it’s accessible to skip to the next track.
The cool feature you might not know about is that you can skip songs with AirPods on an iPhone. However, you can skip songs from an album or created playlist.
If you have 3rd generation AirPods or AirPods Pro, the feature works out of the box. For older models of AirPods, there is some configuration required. If you want to know how to skip songs with your AirPods on an iPhone, follow the steps below.
How to Skip Songs with AirPods on iPhone
Skipping songs is essential if you don’t like a particular one playing or you want to go back and listen to that “killer tune” again. The good news is you can do it using your AirPods. Plus, it works with Apple Music and other streaming music services.
To skip songs using your AirPods or AirPods Pro:
- Fire up the music service app of your choice and tap the Play button.
- When you’re ready to skip to the next song, double-press the Force Sensor on one of the AirPods stems.
- To return to the previous song, triple-press the Force Sensor on AirPod’s stem.
- It’s also important to note that you can pause or restart a track’s playback by pressing the Force Sensor once (and again to resume).
How to Skip Songs with AirPods on iPhone (1st or 2nd Generation)
You can also set up your 1st or 2nd Generation AirPods to skip tracks, but it takes a bit of setting up.
To make 1st or 2nd generation AirPods skip songs, do the following:
- Tap Settings on your home screen to launch the settings app.
- Tap Bluetooth from the list.
- Find your AirPods from the list of connected Bluetooth devices and tap the circled “i” button next to it.
- On the Double-Tap On AirPod section, select the one you want to enable the song-skipping on, either left or right.
- When the AirPod options appear, select the Next Track or Previous Track option.
It’s worth noting that you can set other features on the other AirPod. For example, maybe you want the left one to skip to the next track and the right one to bring up Siri – or vice versa. In addition, you can set one of your AirPods to play or pause a track.
Need new AirPods? You can check out one of the options below.
Amazon.com Price updated on 2022-11-23 - We may earn a commission for purchases using our links: more info
Using AirPods On iPhone
Using the steps above will allow you to customize what each AirPods does. Remember, the 3rd gen and AirPods Pro work out of the box, and setup isn’t necessary. However, it would be nice if Apple would allow for additional control features on their AirPods Pro. Hopefully, we’ll see more features in future updates.
There are some exciting AirPods features, such as turning on noise cancellation. Did you know you can use AirPods with other devices? For example, you can connect AirPods to Roku and connect AirPods with Windows 11. You can even connect AirPods with a Chromebook.