Need to send an email to your Slack server? This guide will show you how.
If you work at a job with even the slightest bit of tech-savviness, then you’ve probably used Slack before. The instant messenger for offices is a great way for teams to stay in touch, and in many ways, it’s a much-needed update for traditional email services. Still, email has its place, and you may be wondering if there’s a way to send email to Slack.
Well, there is! And in this post, we’re going to show you how to do it.
4 Ways To Send An Email To Slack
There are four ways to send email to Slack. Some of these do require paid Slack plans, while others come built into the default Slack app. We’re going to cover each one, so read through to find the method that’s best for you!
Create An Email Address For A Channel (Paid Plan)
The first way is to create an email address for a specific Slack channel. When you create this email, you’ll be able to send emails to this address and have them show up in the Slack channel. It’s kind of like a forwarding address for Slack.
It’s important to note that this method is a part of Slack’s paid plan, so you cannot use this feature for free.
How to create a forwarding address for a Slack channel:
- Open the Slack app on desktop.
- Go to the channel that you want to forward emails to. Channels are the specific conversations that you want to send emails to, not the workspaces that you’re a part of.
- Click the name of the channel at the top of the screen. It’ll have a dropdown arrow next to it.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click Integrations.
- Click Send emails to this channel.
- Click the green Get Email Address button.
- Copy the email address that appears and save it somewhere so you don’t forget it.
- To email this Slack channel, write an email and set the recipient to the email address you just generated. It’ll be forwarded to that Slack channel.
Install The Email App For Slack (Paid Plan)
You may not have known it, but there are apps available for use exclusively in Slack. These apps can expand the functionality of Slack, adding features that can make it far more powerful. As you may have guessed, there is a Slack app for emails.
Again, this feature requires a paid plan. For free methods, skip to the next two solutions.
How to install the Email app for Slack:
- Click this link to install the email app for Slack. Make sure you have the right workspace selected in the top-right corner of the webpage.
- Click Add To Slack.
- Click the dropdown menu next to Post to Channel. Here, you can choose the person or channel you would like to send emails to.
- Next, click Add Email Integration. This will generate a unique email address. When you send emails to this address, they’ll be forwarded to the channel or person you configured in Step 3.
- You can label this configuration so that you can remember who/which channel it’s for in the future. Once you’re done, click Save to save this configuration.
You can repeat these steps for as many channels and people in your Slack group as you like!
Use An Add-On Email (All Plans)
Add-ons for Slack are kind of like apps, only they don’t require a paid plan. That means anyone can use these methods, no wallet required.
The drawback of this method is that it can only be done with certain email accounts. Only emails services that have created a Slack add-on will be available. So there may be some that you don’t see available for this usage.
How to use an email add-on:
Slack for Gmail
- Once you’ve installed the Gmail add-on, open the Gmail app or webpage. In the right-hand sidebar, you should see the Slack icon. Click it.
- Click an email or start writing a draft. When you do, the side panel that appears when you click the Slack icon will populate. Click Connect To Slack and log into your Slack account.
- Once connected, you can forward emails and drafts to individual Slack members or channels right from Gmail.
Slack for Outlook
- Once you’ve installed the Outlook add-on, open the Outlook web client, click an email, click the three-dots menu button, and choose Slack for Outlook from the dropdown menu. Or open the Outlook desktop app and choose Connect to Slack from the toolbar.
- Log into your Slack account.
- To email a person or channel, write an email or select an already written email and click the Slack icon. Then, choose who you would like to forward the email.
Forward An Email To Your DM Using The Slackbot (All Plans)
The last method is to use Slackbot. Slackbot is a simple AI that comes with Slack and helps users perform a few simple tasks. One of those is to email to Slack channels.
How to send email to a Slack channel from Slackbot:
- Open the Slack desktop app.
- Click your profile picture in the top-right of the screen and select Preferences.
- In the pop-up window that appears, choose Messages & media from the left-hand pane, scroll to the bottom of the window, then click the Get a Forwarding Address button.
- Copy this email address. Any emails that are sent to this address will be sent to your Slack account instead, where you can choose to share them with your team or simply store them for yourself.
Using Email on Slack
That’s everything there is to know about how to send email to Slack, and you should be all set to start doing so right away.