Replacement keyless entry clickers can cost hundreds of dollars for your vehicle if you order from the dealer. Save your money and program your own with ease.
Does your car have a keyless entry system? If so, you might be aware of just how expensive it is to replace a lost or broken remote at the dealership. For my car, I was given an estimate of $275. I felt like it was a little high, so I looked around for other options. It turns out you can purchase a universal clicker and program it for most cars. In most cases, it costs less than $20 and only takes about 15 minutes to set up.
Find Generic Remote Car Entry Dongle
The first thing to do is use some Google-Fu to look up if your car model can work with a generic remote. This usually just involves a search like “can my <car model> use a universal fob, clicker, remote?”
Next, pick out a generic clicker that works with your car. Amazon has a better selection than just about anyone else except eBay. Most universal clickers will work with almost any car; I suggest reading up on each model’s reviews and compatibility lists.
Now once you have your clicker, the work begins. To program the clicker, you’ll need to get in the car and put the key in the ignition. The following parts need to be done rather quickly for the programming to work.
The clicker may come with its own instructions; in that case, follow those.
- With the key in the ignition, turn it to the “On” position. This is the position just before the engine cranks turns on.
- Next, turn the key as far as it will turn in the opposite direction; usually, this position is labeled “Lock.”
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 a total of three times within 30 seconds.
- Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. This should cause all of the locks to cycle.
- On the generic remote press the unlock button twice. This should make the doors lock and then unlock. If this fails to work, try opening the driver door and closing it again before pressing the unlock button again.
- Pull out the key and check if the remote is working.
- If things still aren’t working, start over from step 1.
Hopefully, this tip will save you a few bucks and a few headaches!