How to Rename a Windows 10 Local User Account

There might come a time when you want to rename a user with a local account on your shared Windows 10 PC. We recently showed you how to create a local user account in Windows 10, and here’s a look at how you can rename it.

Note that you will need to have an administrator account on the PC.

Change Windows 10 User Account Name

In the search box type: user accounts and hit Enter or select the User Accounts option from the results at the tops of the list.

user accounts

That opens up the User Accounts section in the classic Control Panel and from there select Manage another account.

2 Manage Another Account Windows 10

Next, choose the user account you want to rename.

3 Select User account

In the next section, you have various options you can use to manage the account. In this case, you want to select the first choice — Change the account name.

4 Change account name

Now put in the new name you want to give the account and then click the Change Name button.

5 Change Name

That’s all there is to it! The account is renamed, and you’ll see that reflected in the Manage other accounts section as well as the login screen.

6 Changed

Microsoft is starting to get away from Control Panel and move a lot of the PC configuration to the new Settings app. But Control Panel is still there for now. That might change over time as Windows 10 matures. If that happens, we’ll update this process.

If you recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 and are new to the OS and want to learn more about using it, make sure to check out our complete archive of Windows 10 articles.

And for more discussion and help with Microsoft’s new operating system, head over to the free Windows 10 Forums.

14 Responses to How to Rename a Windows 10 Local User Account

1. Sankar October 9, 2015 at 5:09 am #

Hi, is it possible to keep Computer name and local user name are same in Windows 10.

2. Loren November 28, 2015 at 10:45 am #

This still doesn’t change the underlying user name in Windows 10. For example, if you then want to create a new local account named “Sarah”, Windows 10 won’t allow it because there is still a user with that name. I looked into using net user in a Cmd prompt, but there is no rename option. Any ideas for how to get around this?

• Haik January 10, 2016 at 8:49 am #

@Loren – Yup. Not only that but you can’t use your new username when sharing directories, it still uses the old one.

I can understand Windows wanting to keep the underlying directory and registry paths working, but think it should add an alias to the new name for Sharing Permissions purposes.

3. Haik January 10, 2016 at 9:02 am #

A good way of showing how skin deep this change is, is to change a username to “Harold”, and then create another username called Harold. Windows lets you do this without problem, as the first change didn’t really change anything.

4. RAHUL HUKKERI June 11, 2016 at 4:47 am #

This works thanks……

5. Joe Josh March 10, 2017 at 1:19 pm #

Hello,
    I am an admin on my computer. I do not find find “Change the account name” when I get here: Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts\Change an Account. Please assist.
    Thanks
    Joe

• MK March 25, 2017 at 2:53 pm #

I’m in the same situation as Joe. Hope someone can help!

• cqüeb April 8, 2017 at 9:15 am #

Same here!

• cqüeb April 8, 2017 at 9:33 am #

Maybe we can’t change our name (inclusive as administrator) because we are are using a Microsoft acccount to login in Windows 10. In my case, my name has an accent.:( .. but I have doubt to edit it!

• Nelli May 11, 2017 at 1:59 am #

Same problem. Maybe I cannot rename administrator?
      Any suggestions ?

6. Anna May 29, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

Same problem here. So annoying since I use Apple but have to use W10 now for work. So many directions online are WRONG. Ugh.

7. Sherry June 1, 2017 at 10:09 am #

Same issue here.

8. Sieo July 16, 2017 at 11:17 am #

I want to rename my Windows 10 administrator, but I saw a lot of websites saying you are not allowed to change it. I followed the steps above, but there’s no control panel like it showed in the picture, still can’t change it :S Does anyone have solution?

9. Anna July 16, 2017 at 6:01 pm #

Sieo:

You might want to start a new thread on this since your post is probably only going to those is this thread and clearly we have no answers. I gave up on it since I don’t have to use Windows for much of anything which is just about what it’s worth ;o/