Want to hide your music tastes from your friends? You’ll need to start using private playlists on Spotify. Here’s how to make one.
Spotify offers several different ways to collate your favorite music to listen to. You can create playlists based on mood, activities, working out, or anything else you want. You can also create a collaborative playlist that you can work on with your friends, and add friends on Spotify to introduce friends to music (and vice versa).
On the other hand, you can make a playlist private on Spotify. To make a playlist private on Spotify, you need to do more than remove it from your profile.
If you want to make a playlist private on Spotify and hide your music tastes from your friends, here’s what you’ll need to do.
How to Make a Playlist Private on Spotify
If you listen to Spotify on your PC or Mac, you can quickly make a playlist private by using the Spotify desktop app.
To make a Spotify playlist private on PC or Mac:
- Launch Spotify on your desktop.
- From your list of playlists on the left, click the one you want to make private.
- On the right page, click the three-dot button and select Make private from the menu.
- After following the steps above, the selected playlist will be set to Private.
- When you set a playlist to Private, you can see it listed at the top of the desktop app.
- To reverse your decision and make your playlist public again, right-click the playlist on the left and select Make public from the menu.
How to Make a Spotify Playlist Private on Android or iPhone
You can also make a playlist private (or public) from your iPhone or Android device.
To make your Spotify playlist private on mobile:
- Launch the Spotify app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap Your Library from the bottom bar.
- Scroll down, select the playlist you want to make private, and tap the three-dot button.
- Swipe down from the menu that appears and tap the Make private option from the list.
- Tap the green Make private button when the verification box appears.
- If you ever want to make your playlist public again, select the playlist, tap the three-dots button, and select the Make public option from the menu.
Creating Your Private Playlists on Spotify
If you have a particular playlist you want to keep to yourself, using the steps above will keep it private. Of course, if you’re going to make it public again for any reason, you can do so using the Spotify app on desktop or mobile.
If you’re new to Spotify and are looking for a better sound experience, check out how to make it louder and sound better. Also, you can add your own music files to Spotify, which is perfect for instances when you’re offline.
Did you know Spotify has a voice assistant? Check out Spotify’s voice commands for the hands-free operation of the streaming music app.