How to Make a Collaborative Playlist on Spotify
A collaborative playlist on Spotify allows you to create, share, and enjoy the same songs and artists with your friends and family. Here’s how to make one.
Playlists on Spotify are a great way to build a collection of your favorite songs to listen to again, and again, and again.
You can create playlists based on mood, activities, or anything you want really. While creating a playlist by yourself is great, you might want to make a collaborative playlist on Spotify with your friends. You can share a Spotify playlist and collaborate with others to create the perfect list of songs. Perhaps you and a friend want to add new music to the playlist to listen to together.
If you haven’t created a collaborative playlist on Spotify before, we’ll show you how to do it on the desktop or mobile app below.
How to Make a Collaborative Playlist on Spotify Desktop
You can make a collaborative Spotify playlist using either the desktop or mobile version of Spotify.
To make a collaborative playlist on the desktop version of Spotify, use these steps:
- Launch the Spotify desktop app on your PC or Mac.
- Right-click an existing playlist on the left, then select Create playlist from the menu.
- Type in a name and optional description for the playlist in the Edit details box, add a picture if you want, and then click the Save button.
- Right-click the playlist you just created and select Collaborative playlist from the menu.
- Once you’ve done this, the playlist will display an icon next to it to show that it’s collaborative.
- To share it with your friends, click the three-dots and select Share > Copy link to playlist. Anyone you share the link with can edit the playlist.
It’s also worth noting that you don’t have to create a new playlist for the feature to work. So, for example, you can right-click any playlist you have already created and select Collaborative playlist from the menu.
How to Make a Collaborative Playlist on Spotify Mobile
To make a collaborative playlist on the mobile Spotify app, use the following steps:
- Launch the Spotify app on your Android or iPhone/iPad device.
- In the app, navigate to Your Library, and then tap the Create Playlist button at the top.
- Give your playlist a name and tap the Create button.
- To make the playlist collaborative, tap the three-dot menu.
- Swipe down and select Make collaborative from the menu.
- Tap the Make Collaborative button when the verification message appears.
- Alternately, you can click the person icon next to the three dots. Tap Make Collaborative on the verification message, and it will prompt you to share the list by message or link right away.
Making Collaborative Playlists on Spotify
Making collaborative playlists on Spotify is a fun way to share with friends and see what music they add. Keep in mind, though, that anyone with access to the link can edit the list—even if it’s not public. You’ll want to make sure you’re not sharing it with someone with ill intent.
For more on Spotify and playlists, read about transferring playlists to a new account or changing the playlist picture. If you’re new to Spotify, take a look at how to make it louder and sound better.
Also, did you know that Spotify has a voice assistant? Check out how to use Spotify voice commands.