Is your Discord server too quiet for comfort? Want to find some new members? Here are some tips for how to grow your Discord server.
Discord has grown from a simple chat app for gamers into a huge collection of communities covering almost every genre imaginable. If you’ve created your own Discord server, you may be looking for more people to join it.
The good news is that are plenty of ways you can put your Discord server out there, making it discoverable by people who may be interested in it. Here are some tips for how to grow your Discord server.
Add Your Server to Server Lists
There is a wide range of websites that offer searchable lists of Discord servers. If you add your server to one or more of these lists, your server will appear in the search results, making it easier for people to discover your server.
Some of the most popular Discord server lists include:
How to Add Your Discord Server to a List
Adding your server to a list will differ from site to site, but the basics are the same. We’ll take a look at how you can add your server to one of the most popular options.
To add your server to discordservers.com:
- Navigate to discordservers.com in your browser.
- Click the Menu icon.
- Select Add/Manage Servers from the menu on the left.
- Sign in to your Discord account.
- Allow access to your Discord server by clicking Authorize.
- On the left, click the Menu icon.
- Press the Select a Server drop-down and select the server you want to add to the list.
- Click Continue to Discord.
- To grant access to your Discord account, click Continue.
- Allow the site to create Discord invites by clicking Authorize.
- In the left-hand menu, click Edit Server.
- Enter a description for your server. The better your description, the higher your server is likely to rank.
- Ensure that List This Server is set to Yes.
- Create a link to access your server.
- Add a category so people can find your server more easily.
- Add some keywords, a Twitch name if you have one, and a detailed description.
- Click Save Listing.
- Your server is now added to the Discord server list.
Promote Your Server on Social Media
If you’re active on social media, promoting your Discord server on your accounts is a great way to help grow its members. It’s important not to just spam about your server, as this is likely to put more people off than it will attract.
Adding an invite link to your server to your social media profiles can be highly effective, however.
How to Create an Invite Link to Your Discord Server
The default setting for invite links is that they will expire after seven days. This is less than ideal for a link you want to post on a social media account. It is possible to change this setting, however.
To create an invite link to your Discord server:
- Launch the Discord app or web client.
- Click on the server you want to create a link for.
- Click the arrow next to your server name.
- Select Invite People.
- Don’t copy the link yet, as this is a link that will expire after a week. Instead, click Edit Invite Link.
- Change the Expire After option to Never and click Generate a New Link.
- Click Copy to copy the link.
- You can now post the link to your social media accounts.
Post Your Server on Reddit
There used to be a dedicated Reddit community, r/DiscordServers, that was the go-to place to post your server or look for other servers you might be interested in. Unfortunately, this Reddit was banned as it was often used for spam.
There are other communities, however, such as r/DiscordAdvertising that work in a similar way. You can post a link to your Discord server and find other servers you may be interested in. If your Discord server has a specific niche or genre, you can also consider posting about it in relevant Reddit communities.
Always be sure to check the rules of that specific subreddit as it may not allow posting links to Discord servers.
Partner Up With Similar Servers
The chances are that, whatever your server is about, there will be other servers with a similar theme.
If you find other servers similar to yours, they don’t need to be considered a rival. If you reach out, you may be able to help grow both of your servers. You could do this by partnering with them or hosting events that benefit both servers.
Make Your Server Somewhere People Want to Stay
You can have the best server marketing in the world, but if people don’t like your server, they’re not going to hang around. If you want to grow your Discord server, you should make it a place worth visiting.
There are plenty of ways to run a server where people want to visit. These include:
- Making a server about a specific topic and sticking to it.
- Having clear rules and clear consequences for breaking them.
- Keeping the server active will daily interactions.
- Hosting events such as quizzes or game nights.
- Creating giveaways or other contests.
- Appointing moderators to keep things running smoothly even when you’re not around.
- Reducing spam by using dedicated Discord bots.
Making the Most of Discord
Learning how to grow your Discord server can help you create a thriving community of like-minded people. The more you know about how to make the most of Discord, the better your Discord server can become.
You can learn how to create an event on Discord to get people together at a specific time. For example, you might want to set up a watch party. If so, you’ll need to know how to stream Netflix or Disney Plus on Discord.