It is the beginning of another beautiful weekend, so why not go with the "flOw” to start it out with a little fun. Have you ever played the first level of Spore, or maybe the iPhone version Spore origins? flOw is the game that inspired those, except that it keeps things simple and by contrast is very relaxing.
How do I play flOw?
This game has been around a while so it’s nothing new, but I thought it is still good enough to be worth a mention here. As of now, it is available on three different platforms.
There are two free options for playing flow, both are flash based so you will need Flash Player.
- Download the offline installer at FilePlanet. or Download Mirror 1
The offline version has much better performance than the online one below.
- Play flOw online in your web browser at http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/flow
If you have a PlayStation 3 you can also download the flOw client for that, but it will cost you around $7.99 USD. And personally, if I was going to get a game like this for the Playstation I would go with Flower, which is similar but many also say it is way better. Additionally Flower is not available for free on your PC.
What is flOw about?
According to the developer, thatgamecompany:
Initially an MFA thesis, flOw is a game about piloting an aquatic organism through a surreal biosphere where players consume other organisms, evolve, and dive into the abyss. With an embedded design of DDA (dynamic difficulty adjustment), players with differing skills levels can intuitively customize their game experience and enjoy the game at their own pace.
You start out as a small organism, and like the developer said you work your way up by eating other organisms.
As you progress, your organism will grow larger but so will other potentially hostile organisms. The water will also change colors.
Continue exploring deeper into the depths to uncover bizarre organisms and push your own creature to it’s limits.
- Eat small white enemies to gain strength.
- Hostile enemies turn red when they are trying to eat you, but you can also eat them by targeting their small white bubbles. Some hostile enemies drop special items.
- Eat a small organism with a red circle inside to travel one layer deeper into the game.
- Eat a small blue organism to return to the easier layer you just came from.
- If you stray too far and get lost, travel towards the red or blue pulses that appear on the screen.
Controls For the PC
Use the Mouse to control which direction your creature travels. Hold the Left-Click button down to increase speed.
Controls for the PlayStation 3
The entire game is controlled by solely the Sixaxis (internal accelerometer) motion of the controller. If your control does not have this feature you will not be able to play.
Have a groovy weekend, and just flOw with it!