Despite the new craze of text messages, Twitter, and other social media services, email is still a staple most of us rely on to communicate with friends, family, and customers. If you use Gmail for your email, you will be happy to know that a FREE tool exists which will notify you when a new message is received! Once installed, the days of checking your Gmail account every few hours for new email are over!
The Free tool is called Gmail Notifier, and the install is simple and straightforward.
Gmail Notifier Alerts As New Emails Arrive at your Gmail Account
1. Open your web browser and Type http://www.gmailnotifier.com/download/ into the address bar. Once the page loads, Click the Download Now link.
2. Next, you’ll need to Run or Double-Click the file you just downloaded to start the Setup Wizard
3. Once installed, a window will appear to select your language. Select your language of choice.
4. On the next page fill in your Gmail login information. You’ll also need to be sure that you have IMAP enabled from within GMAIL otherwise the application won’t work properly.
If you require help setting up IMAP, please read the first section of this article.
5. At this point you’re pretty much done, Click the Account to look at more of the functionality of this handy application.
When you Click on the desired Account, it will take you to view your new email. From here you can select e-mails using the check boxes and either delete or mark them as read.
If you click on an individual e-mail, you can read the entire message. With the current version, you can’t reply to email.
In your system tray, you’ll find the Gmail icon used by Gmail Notifier. Right-Click this the icon to access the menu and options. You can Add new accounts, Remove existing ones, Force a check of your Gmail account, and go into Preferences.
Under preferences, you can adjust some of the individual settings such as the method of notification of your arriving emails. You can also enable Gmail Notifier to run when Windows starts up automatically.
I’ve tested the app with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Previously I used the Free Gmail notifier beta from Google. However, that stopped working for me when I upgraded to Windows 7 (does anyone else have that problem?) Another option that notifies you when new email arrives at your Gmail inbox is Google’s free instant messenger client Google Talk. In my next article, I’ll discuss how that works!