You can download YouTube videos on your iPhone or iPad to watch offline later. Here’s how.
You might want to save or download videos from YouTube to watch later on your iPhone, especially if you’re going to a location with a poor internet connection. The process to download videos is surprisingly straightforward, but you’ll need to have a YouTube Premium subscription.
Here’s a look at how to download YouTube videos on iPhone so you can watch them offline without ads later.
How to Download YouTube Videos on iPhone
Once your YouTube Premium trial is activated, you can download ad-free YouTube content for offline use on iPhone or iPad.
Note: For the download process to work, you must have the YouTube app on your iPhone or iPad. It won’t work with the web version unless you launch a browser on your desktop and sign in with your premium account.
To Download YouTube videos on iPhone:
- Ensure you’re signed up for YouTube Premium (either the trial or a full subscription) and find and play the video you want to download.
- Swipe to the left of the video’s control bar and find the Download button.
- Tap the Download button and choose the video quality of the video you’re downloading.
- If you tap the Download button while the video is playing, you have options to pause downloading, delete the video, or cancel.
- You can download a video without playing it first. Find the video you want to watch later and tap the three-dot button under the video to the right.
- When the menu appears at the bottom of your phone or tablet, tap the Download video option from the list.
Where Are My Downloaded YouTube Videos?
When you download YouTube videos on iPhone, you’ll need to know where to find them so you can watch them later.
To find your downloaded YouTube videos:
- Launch the YouTube app on your iPhone or iPad and tap the Library tab in the lower-right corner.
- In the following menu, tap the Downloads option from the list.
- Your current list of downloaded YouTube videos will appear on the list. It displays videos that have been downloaded and ones that aren’t complete.
How to Delete Downloaded Videos on iPhone
Watched your videos? You can clear space for new ones by deleting downloaded YouTube videos on your device.
To delete downloaded YouTube videos:
- Open the YouTube app on your iPhone or iPad and tap the Library tab in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap the Downloads option from the following screen.
- Tap the vertical three-dot button next to the video you want to remove.
- Tap the Delete from downloads button at the bottom.
- Like the feature in Gmail, if you accidentally delete a video and want it back, tap the Undo button. Keep in mind the Undo button only appears for a few seconds. Your downloads are available as long as your iPhone or iPad connects to the internet at least every month.
Download YouTube Videos on iPhone
We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention there are apps for downloading videos from YouTube and other services. Most include in-app purchases results will vary. For the best experience, it’s worth getting YouTube Premium because it also allows downloading high-quality videos on the desktop.
Of course, if you’ve got everything you want from the premium version, you can cancel YouTube Premium to stop the charges. And you can always start the subscription again if you need it later.
If you’re experiencing sluggishness, check out how to clear the YouTube cache on Android. You might also be interested in blocking YouTube on Roku. If videos don’t have audio, learn about fixing YouTube audio renderer errors.