Too many messages to deal with on your iPhone? You can delete messages and entire conversations at any time. This guide will explain how.
Too many iPhone text messages to sort through? You may want to consider deleting one (or more) conversations that have ended.
You can easily prune through and delete messages on your iPhone. It’s easy enough to remove individual texts and entire conversations if you need to.
We’ll show you how to delete messages on your iPhone below.
How to Delete Messages on iPhone
Note: Once you delete a text message, you can’t restore it, so make sure you no longer want the conversation. If it’s really important, you can always consider printing your iPhone messages for a paper copy backup.
To delete a message or multiple messages on your iPhone:
- Launch the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Find and tap the message or conversation you want to delete.
- On the message screen, tap and hold the message you want to get rid of.
- Tap More from the menu that appears.
- Tap the circle icon next to each message you want to remove on your screen. When complete, tap the Trash icon at the screen’s bottom-left corner. In this example, we’re selecting three to delete.
- When the menu appears at the bottom of the screen, tap Delete Message.
That’s all there is to it—the messages you selected will be deleted from the chat. Deleting messages cleans up your conversations and allows you to manage your conversations more easily.
How to Delete an Entire Conversation on an iPhone
If you need to delete an entire conversation on your iPhone, you can—the process only takes a few steps.
To delete an entire conversation on iPhone:
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Locate the entire conversation you want to delete (but don’t open it).
- Swipe to the left on the conversation you want to get rid of and tap the Trash icon from the options that appear.
- When the verification message appears at the bottom, tap Delete.
Deleting Messages on iPhone
Using the steps above, you can quickly delete messages on your iPhone. Once you tap delete, the individual message (or the entire message conversation) will disappear from your phone for good.
Want to keep a closer eye on your iPhone messages and calls? You may want to consider filtering unknown senders on iPhone. If security is a problem, don’t forget to lock your important Apple Notes on your iPhone.
You can also lock iPhone photos that you want to keep hidden from prying eyes.