If you regularly work from the Windows desktop, it’s essential to keep up with tasks. Learn how to create tasks and reminders on Windows here.
Keeping track of what you need to do each week can be overwhelming. The good news is there are ways to create tasks and reminders on Windows 11.
This allows you to pre-plan your workday (or week) and get reminders about tasks when you need them most. Having reminders and other notifications for tasks is handy if you’re always working from your laptop or desktop computer.
If you want to know how to create tasks and reminders on a Windows 11 PC, follow the steps below.
How to Create Tasks and Reminders on Windows 11 with Microsoft To Do
Luckily, setting up reminders on your Windows 11 computer is straightforward using built-in Windows apps. One of the included apps is Microsoft To Do.
To create tasks and reminders with Microsoft To Do:
- Press the Windows key, type Microsoft To Do, and choose the top result.
Note: If you don’t have it on your system, download Microsoft To Do from the Microsoft Store.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account credentials if you aren’t already.
- When the To Do app opens, click My Day from the left panel and click Add a task on the right.
- Type in your task details, such as a meeting, project, or other tasks you need to get done, and hit Enter.
- You can also click one of the icons to the right of the Task field to access optional features like setting a reminder, adding a due date, or making it a repeating task.
- The To Do app syncs tasks between other Windows PCs that you are logged in with the same Microsoft account.
- If you need to change or edit a task detail, launch the Microsoft To Do app, select the task you need to edit and change the details accordingly.
- Another nice feature is the ability to search through your tasks. The search feature is helpful when you have many tasks to edit and look through.
- It’s also important to note that you can change the app’s theme, print or email the task list, and sort tasks by importance, date, alphabetically, or creation date. Click the menu button (three-dot) and make the necessary changes to the app and your task list.
How to Create Reminders Using Windows Calendar
Another way to quickly create tasks and reminders on Windows 11 is by using the built-in Windows Calendar app. Like the To Do app, this allows you to view all tasks and reminders via a single app.
To create task reminders in Windows Calendar on Windows 11:
- Press the Windows key, type Calendar, and select the top result from the search results.
- Now, in the left panel, click the New event button.
- Enter the task details, choose the Reminder dropdown menu, and select when you want to be reminded of the task or event. If it’s a reoccurring task, click the Repeat button and choose the days you want to have it remind you. When you’re done, click the Save button in the top left corner.
- The task will display on the date you set it for on the Calendar.
- If you just need to add tasks quickly, open the Calendar app, and click on the date of the task. Choose when you want to be reminded from the menu, i.e., 15 or 30 minutes before the event, and click Save.
- When it’s time for your task, Windows will display a reminder notification in the lower right corner of your screen.
It’s also important to know that the reminder notification for your task will display on all Windows PCs that you’re signed into. And it’s not just on Windows 11 machines. Reminder notifications will appear on any Windows 10 PCs you are logged in to.
It works the other way too. For example, if you create a task via the Calendar app on Windows 10, reminder notifications will display on Windows 11. Also, all the tasks and events you create will sync to all PCs if you’re logged in with the same Microsoft account.
Keeping Track of Tasks on Windows 11
If you’re stuck at your desk all day, having the ability to create tasks and reminders on a Windows 11 PC could prove to be essential. Creating reminders for tasks helps your workflow so you can get things done on time.
The Microsoft Calendar app is a good solution for creating quick task reminders, while the Microsoft To Do app allows for a more detailed approach to tasks and reminders. The good thing about both apps is they sync up among all your Windows PCs.
You’ll need to work around holidays when you schedule events or tasks. For more help with holiday planning, check out how to add national holidays to the Calendar app. In addition, you might want to display the weather on the Calendar app.