The Apple Keynote presentation app allows you to convert Keynote presentations to Microsoft PowerPoint formats. Here’s how.
Keynote is a popular presentation tool, offered as part of the free, Microsoft Office-competing Apple productivity suite on macOS and iOS devices. If you don’t have an Apple device, however, then you won’t be able to open any Keynote files.
The good news is that it’s possible to convert Keynote presentations to Microsoft PowerPoint format. You can then open these files on a Mac, PC, or mobile device. There are a number of methods for converting these files, which we’ll explore below.
How to Export Keynote to PowerPoint on macOS
If you are a Mac user, you can convert your Keynote presentations to PowerPoint directly from within Keynote itself.
- On a Mac, open your presentation in Keynote and choose File > Export To > PowerPoint.
- If you need to use an older version of PowerPoint, click on Advanced Options to change the format from .pptx to .ppt.
- Click the Next… button, type in the name you want to save under, then press Export once you’re done.
You’ll be able to open the converted Keynote presentation file in PowerPoint once this is done.
If your Keynote presentation used any non-system fonts, you may find that these have been replaced in the converted PowerPoint file, as the conversion process is unable to keep them in place.
How to Export Keynote to PowerPoint on iPhone or iPad
You can also use Keynote on an iPhone or iPad to convert your presentation to a suitable PowerPoint format.
- To start, open the presentation in the Keynote app. Tap on the More button in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap the Export button.
- Select the PowerPoint option.
- You will then be given a range of options for how to share or save your presentation. Select one of these to proceed.
As with Keynote on macOS, some non-system fonts may be replaced during the conversion process.
How to Export Keynote to PowerPoint on Windows
Even if you’re not using a Mac or other Apple device, you can still convert your presentation by using the Keynote app on the iCloud website. That’s because it’s possible to use iCloud on a PC, although you’ll need to sign in using your Apple ID for this to work.
- To start, head to the iCloud website and sign in to your Apple account.
- Click on the Keynote icon to launch the Keynote web app.
- Find the presentation you want to convert in your iCloud storage, then press the More button.
- Choose the Download a Copy… option in the drop-down menu.
- Select the PowerPoint option to select PowerPoint as your desired download format.
Once selected, iCloud will begin the conversion from Keynote to PowerPoint, downloading the file in the process.
Using a Conversion Site to Convert Keynote to PowerPoint
If you don’t have an Apple account or access to an Apple device, then the methods above won’t be available to you. You’ll need to use an online conversion site to change your Keynote presentation into a PowerPoint file.
There are a wide number of these types of sites online. Many are free, but some may charge if you want to convert a lot of files or convert them more quickly. One such option is Zamzer, but other sites are available.
- Open the Zamzar website to begin, then press the Add Files… button. Navigate to the Keynote presentation you want to convert, then select it for uploading.
- Once your file is uploaded to the Zamzar site, press the Convert To option and select pptx.
- If you have a version of Powerpoint that was released prior to 2007, you’ll need to use the older ppt format instead.on Convert Now to begin the conversion process.
- Once the file has finished converting, press the Download button to save your file.
Why Should You Convert Keynote to PPT Files?
There are a number of reasons why you may want to convert a Keynote presentation to PowerPoint. You may be using a PC or not have a copy of the Keynote application. You may also want to use some of the powerful features that are included with PowerPoint such as the ability to insert Excel data or broadcast a PowerPoint presentation online.
It might be that you want to use some PowerPoint transitions and animations to help make your PowerPoint presentation stand out. Regardless, using the methods above you can quickly turn your Keynote presentation into a PowerPoint within minutes.