It’s official. Months after first being announced, the Apple TV+ premium streaming video service is now live. Available across multiple platforms (not just ones owned by Apple), Apple TV+ launches with new programs starring some of the biggest actors in Hollywood, including Academy Award winner Reese Witherspoon, “Friends” star Jennifer Aniston, and many more.
Get a Subscription
Apple TV+ is priced at $4.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for a family. However, a free one-year subscription comes with any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac that was purchased after Sept. 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller.
A Year For Free
To activate your free subscription, make sure the latest software version is installed on your qualifying device. From there:
- If you haven’t already done so, sign in with your Apple ID on your qualifying device.
- Open the Apple TV app on the device.
- Tap Enjoy 1 Year Free. If you don’t see the message, scroll down on the Watch Now app until the offer appears.
- Confirm your Apple ID password, billing information, and valid payment method if asked. You won’t get charged during the one-year free trial.
- Enjoy Apple TV+
Note: You must claim your free subscription within three months of activating your new device. If you cancel your free subscription at any time during the year, you won’t qualify for another free subscription, and you can’t re-activate the old one without paying.
To Sign Up for Service
If you don’t have a new device and would like to subscribe to Apple TV+, you can do so on any device with the Apple TV app, including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Also worth noting is you can subscribe via the Apple TV app on Roku.
What’s Included With Apple TV+
With an Apple TV+ subscription, you can stream Apple Originals content, ad-free and on-demand with new titles added every month. Where available, you can watch Apple Originals in 4K HDR with Dolby Vision. Most titles also offer Dolby Atmos sound. On your mobile device, you can download episodes or films for offline viewing.
Up to six family members can enjoy Apple TV+ with your subscription if you’re using Apple Family Sharing. This can include up to six simultaneous streams, if necessary.
Where and How Is Apple TV+ Available?
At launch, Apple TV+ is available for Apple users in over 100 countries and territories. Apple Original content comes subtitled and/or dubbed in almost 40 languages. There are also subtitles for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (SDH) and closed captions. Audio descriptions for series and movies are available in eight languages.
Officially, Apple TV+ is available across the following platforms at launch:
- An iPhone or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS
- An iPad with the newest version of iPadOS
- An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with the newest version of tvOS
- An Apple TV (3rd generation) with the latest Apple TV Software Update
- A smart TV or streaming box that supports the Apple TV app
- A Mac running the latest version of macOS
- tv.apple.com in a Safari, Firefox, or Chrome web browser
Apple TV+ includes a combination of Apple Original series and movies. The shows most advertised leading up to the arrival of Apple TV+, not surprisingly, are among those launching first. For more, including previews of some of the new shows check out our article on the Apple TV+ program lineup.