Olympic Athletes Warned to Stop Wearing the Competition

Believe it or not, officials have reminded the British Olympic Team to stop wearing Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and to switch to products by the Olympics corporate partner Panasonic.

Beats by Dr Dre Britain

It sounds stupid because, yeah it is. This incredible breach of the rules started when several members of the team began wearing a special UK edition of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones (pictured above), gifted to them by the company in an ambush marketing campaign. Some of the Olympic team members decided to Tweet their love of the products, including football goal-keeper Jack Butland. Others wore them before competing.

Well, Olympic officials didn’t react too well to the impromptu campaign and promptly told the athletes to stop wearing them and start wearing Panasonic headphones. Panasonic is an official sponsor of the 2012 Olympics.

Oh, and the Tweets have disappeared, too…

The reason is “the importance of protecting our corporate partners”, as a spokesperson for the British Olympic Committee has put it, quoted by Pocket-lint.

Now, if you think the British Olympic Committee is being overzealous, think again. It all comes from Rule 40 of the Olympic charter, which clearly states that athletes are forbidden to endorse commercial backers during the Olympic Games. A rule which I totally understand (I mean, sponsors pay a ton of money to be there), but I think is over-applied in this case.

6 Responses to Olympic Athletes Warned to Stop Wearing the Competition

1. SanjayKumar99 August 6, 2012 at 2:28 am #

It is a good move, sponcers should not be neglected

• Steve Krause August 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

They do pay the bills and make the games possible however I wonder what the line is between paying the bills and making a profit off the athletes…?

• Bogdan Bele August 7, 2012 at 1:39 am #

I think the way one listens to music is a personal thing. I totally get the sponsors and the fact that they’re the ones making things possible, but this is taking things too far.

2. Brian Burgess August 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

I can see both sides of this issue. Obvious attempt for Beats Audio to get promotion, but come on…are headphones that big of a deal? I guess it is…I am not happy with many aspects of the games this year, this is just another example.

3. Jim G August 12, 2012 at 11:26 am #

I hope they supply the athletes with free Panasonic headphones then, because if they aren’t, they have some nerve telling them what to use. The rules say they cannot support sponsors, well then why are they forcing them to wear Panasonic. Sounds contradictory. I would refuse to listen and just say hey I bought these headphones because they are perfect for my ears and deny being given them by Dre.

4. Chris August 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

It is fair and reasonable