Why You Shouldn’t Use Online Sites to Name Your Pet

This is off topic, but the other day I adopted a dog with no name. Well, you have to give them a name if they don’t have one right? So, I was thinking “Shadow” was a cool name for her. Then I thought, well, everyone names their dog according to their color, so that’s a bit cliché right?

So I started talking with our senior editor Austin Krause, who’s also a dog owner, and he sent me a link to what has the be the stupidest list of names for a female puppy. I mean, there are some really bad ones – Azzurra, Bubbles, and Chloe (they’re not humans) were the first ones to stick out at me as lame.

I usually don’t name a new pet for a few weeks. I like to get to see its personality, then give it a name. Well, to each their own. Anyway, here’s the top list of the top female puppy names from Just make sure you’re not using this list to name your newborn!

New Dog

Don’t use the Internet to name me freak’n Bubbles!

What names have you heard for people’s pets and how stupid were they? Leave a comment and tell us about it!

11 Responses to Why You Shouldn’t Use Online Sites to Name Your Pet

1. ShockerSH April 24, 2013 at 7:30 am #

My sister named her kid after her dead dog…. Sophie.

Really? Yeah, that’s what I thought. First, who names a dog a human name (I agree) and two, who names their kid after their dead dog?

Yeah, I guess I already answered that second question…..

2. Steve Krause April 24, 2013 at 7:35 am #

I heard of a dumb name one time… Shadow.

Just kidding however, you never told us what you ended up naming the dog! What’s up with that?

3. Carla Kennedy April 25, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Cute dog… Looks like some type of lab/retriever mix. Looks sort of like mine. The last time I was on a pet naming kick, I was using gemstones as my inspiration. Hence our dog is named Pearl (she’s all black) I also named 2 cats that week Sapphire and Onyx (you can guess what color he was)

We still have Pearl, but another black cat called Toopac-Sha-Kitty (Yes, Toopac because from the first day he was going to take the dog on, come hell or high water)

But back to your dilemma – Black Names include: Shadow, Smokey, Midnight, Blackie, Onyx, Slate, Graphite, Mystery, Sorceress,

Or you can just get away with Cutie Pie until her true personality comes out.

4. Henry April 25, 2013 at 9:07 am #

We were given two kittens, sisters, and my wife wanted to let our daughter name them. So we gave them temporary names. By the time our daughter came back from school that weekend it was too late, we were already used to calling them “Titi” and “Toto”.

Some years before we were given a beautifull black labrador to look after for six months max (his owner said. Never heard from him again). He had already been named “Birthday”. When we got a cat we naturally called her “Happy”. Then, and I swear this is the truth, we acquired two goats, which we called “Too” and “You”.

5. Steve April 25, 2013 at 10:18 am #

A few weeks ago, I acquired a year old kitten. Sticking with what has become a family tradition of naming pets after Shakespearean characters, and that she was born on March 15 (the ides thereof) I ended up naming her Calpurnia after Mrs. Caesar … or Callie for short. Needless to say she answers to neither of them, nor any other name I’ve tried on her.

6. David M April 25, 2013 at 10:57 am #

It helps to travel when you have to name pets
    First dog – mostly Lhasa Apsos – Keti – girl in Nepali
    Second dog – some Lhasa – Kumari – queen in Nepali
    Third dog – Beauceron – Mosi – we were at Victoria Falls with friends the week before we got him drinking Mosi beer. Vic Falls is known as Mosi O Tunya. The ladies say we named him after the falls. I and my friend say it was the beer.
    Fourth dog – Australian Cattle Dog – Tazi (short for Tasmania) – my wife’s choice not mine.
    My daughter’s dog – a watchamaterrier assembled by committee – Kukur – dog in Hindi
    My other daughter’s two cats – Garam and Masala – an Indian spice mixture

7. Brian Burgess April 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Come on. Seriously? I had to LMAO about the Birthday name…jeez … some people.

• Henry April 26, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Brian, yes it was true. Actually it was the original owner* who called the dog Birthday. He (the dog) was adorable as all Labs are. Happy would often sit on his back. We also had a horse called “Champagne” where Two or You would go under him when it was raining to keep dry. Two (or You) often sat on the horse when he was lying down. Would love to post 2 small photos of them. Can I?

And just to complete the story: I first met Birthday’s owner in our local Auberge. We had a beer together and then he said he had to go back to the Gendarmerie. Why? He’d been jailed for two days and the Gendarmes didn’t have any means of doing lunch!!!

David, I shall use that phrase “a watchamaterrier assembled by committee”. Brilliant.

PS Isn’t all this so much better than reading all the horrible news at the moment?

8. Gloria April 25, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Brian there is absolutely nothing wrong with naming your pet human names because after all they are part of the family, ours are Sofee, Millee, Laddee, and Knutee. They don’t know they are four legged hairy things they think they are just our kids. Good luck on your naming. Let us know when you decide. I will say we did name a cat Shadow, and not because she was black and white, but, because she was always following us, at about where a shadow would be. Also when we were raising mules we had three Molly’s who became the “Belle” sisters, Clara Belle, Nellee Belle, and Lula Belle. Wanted to name the Jack “Ima Belle Too” but my husband wouldn’t let me so we named him Clancey.

9. Carla Kennedy April 26, 2013 at 7:24 am #

Not everyone is a pet person.

And yes… this conversation is much better than watching or talking about the news of the day (week).

In keeping with the dog names, when I was younger, I had a St . Benard. We called him Baby as he was the runt of the litter. That dog was the most loyal creature. I remember, when I came home from work, I would put him in my Ford Pinto (He took up most of the room in the back) and I would take him to McDonald’s. He always ordered a Big Mac and I a cheesburger and fries. What a pair we made.