This Credit Card Lifehack Saves Me Cash Every Single Day

It’s official: cash is dead. Long live credit cards! Seriously, though, with credit and debit cards making up 75% of all spending, the competition between banks is fierce. Marketing tactics include everything from price drop refunds and airline miles to cash back rewards. And with all things, when competition is fierce, we the consumers win!

Like many of you, having multiple cards in my pocket means I often forget which card has the best rewards program. Fed up with me leaving cash on the table day-after-day, my wife came up with this ingenious lifehack to ensure I always use the right card to maximize savings on each purchase.

credit-card-lifehack-label-cards

What about you? What’s your favorite lifehack? Drop a comment below and share it here with our community.

We will be selecting the very best and writing up a new series on lifehacks shortly! I would love to get some inspiration from our readers!

6 Responses to This Credit Card Lifehack Saves Me Cash Every Single Day

1. CAnative November 27, 2016 at 5:33 am #

Been there, done that. Works well except must stay on top of changing rewards programs. This month, Starbucks 5% on BofA Visa; next month no more Starbucks on BofA Visa but yes more on Citi Visa. Etc.

• Steve Krause December 4, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

At least for the cards I have, it’s pretty static overall, almost a reminder – “Getting Fuel! Use the Citi Card!”.

Thnx for the comment @Canative

-S

2. Nan D November 27, 2016 at 3:54 pm #

I believe my method’s pretty easy to maintain and use. I use a simple Memo app on my Android phone. I created a category SHOPPING DISCOUNTS and in the text, list all my credit cards (no numbers of course) and stores I frequent. For example:
    MyCard1 – 3% gas, 2% grocery, 1% all other
    MyCard2 – Oct-Dec -5% Home Improvement, Restaurants
    MyCard3 -3% Department, 2% Home Improvement, 1% Drug Stores
    LUNCH X -10% on Tuesdays
    SEW-STORE -5% 1st Monday ea month

I’m not the kind of person to go to a store or buy an item only because it’s a deal. But if I’m on my way to the register in any store, I check this list on my phone and know which card to present.

• Steve Krause December 4, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

Nice hack! Thnx for the tip. Nice thing about keeping the list on your phone is that makes it easy to edit.

Thnx for the comment @Nan.

-Steve

• Nan D December 5, 2016 at 10:39 am #

Thanks. works for me!

3. N Shah December 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm #

I do not like multiple cards with different pay by dates and revolving cash back offers. I prefer to use only one card with fixed 2% cash back on all purchases (and NO annual fee).