Windows Phone 8.1 has a critical update (8.10.14192.280) for users in the Preview for Developers Program. It was launched late in the day on Thursday of this week, and is available to everyone in the program.

Remember that the Preview for Developers  program is for…well developers…and also enthusiasts and early adopters. The program is free, and we showed you how to join earlier this year to be one of the first to get this years Windows Phone 8.1 update.

The thing to remember about being in this program is you will continue to receive all new updates and features before carriers (eventually) roll them out to regular customers.

Install the Windows Phone 8.1 Update

There isn’t much to see here with this update though. According to Microsoft’s Mike Mongeau, “This update contains our usual scope of fixes and improvements. We’re requiring this update so we can continue to test our update systems. The update will show as a “critical update” on your phone.”

To get the update right away, go to Settings > Phone update > Check for Update. Then you can download and install it – your phone will reboot during the installation.

Windows Phone 8-1 Critical update

If you do have any issues with your phone after the update, you’re encouraged to leave a comment in the Windows Phone blog here.

Mike continues in his post “If you have any issues while taking this update, please let us know in the comments…My team and I will be closely monitoring your feedback. Thanks for being such great participants! We’re here and we’re listening.”

I installed the update on my Nokia Lumia 635, and all-in-all it took about 20 minutes. I haven’t had much time to play with it, but I’m not noticing any glaring problems.

What is your take? Have you noticed any improvements in performance, speed, or stability after this update? Or if you’re having any problems let us, and more importantly, the Windows Phone team know!

21 Responses to Windows Phone 8.1 Critical Update in Preview for Developers Program Available Now

1. Criss October 23, 2014 at 11:06 pm #

Well, I did update and found out that it takes way more time to recognize all the apps installed on the SD card. Before it was almost instantly, now not at all. Lumia 520 Cyan on DP.

2. CrackberryMeister October 24, 2014 at 6:30 am #

Updated my 920 last evening and it seems the same as before the update. No worries here.

3. Michael October 24, 2014 at 7:18 am #

I’ve never had a problem with an update on my HTC 8x on Verizon.

However, I will say that the last couple of developer updates have made my phone kind of a dog. I have to reboot it completely at least once a week to make things respond in a timely manner.

• Dean October 24, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Me too! Since an developer preview last summer I’ve had this problem. I’ve been through a couple of updates since, and still no fix. I too must re-boot my phone a couple of times a day. Many times I have to try to open apps 4 or 5 times until they finally open without just sending me back to the start screen. Has anyone solved these problems?

4. kurt October 24, 2014 at 9:56 am #

updated today on nokia lumia 822 with no apparent problems. all seems the same 🙂

• Taga October 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Kurt,
      have you managed to install cyan on the Lumia 822??

5. DAVE October 24, 2014 at 10:29 am #

I have found that the battery drain problem has been sorted as my 1020 is now lasting all day and not moving one bar.

well done microsoft.

6. Michael October 24, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

Can anybody tell me why I haven’t received any new updates on my Nokia Lumia 928 for developers preview? I have Verizon wireless as my carrier but from previous posts I can see at least one of you has had the update with Verizon. My current version is 8.10.12393.890 so im not sure if I received the update and didn’t notice because its on automatic. Please if someone could let me know It would be appreciated.

• Mike October 25, 2014 at 5:45 am #

I just got the update for my 928 on Verizon.

7. Mike October 25, 2014 at 5:50 am #

Have you had problems with making phone calls? I press a contact and it will go silent for a second and then connect or it will not connect so I hang up and try again. Plus, I do have to reboot my phone once in awhile if the phone lags.

8. Michael October 25, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

I actually found out my problem it was because I must of accidently uninstalled the developers preview app. I just downloaded it and accepted the terms. Yeah I actually do have that happening frequently, I wonder if its just with that phone or is it other phones. I never thought much of it since it would eventually work. it is annoying though.

9. Harish October 27, 2014 at 5:17 am #

I’ve updated my lumia 920…..looks same as before….may be some critical & minor fixes…..
    digging deep….to find out whats new

10. Edward October 27, 2014 at 5:21 am #

After i installed this ‘critical update’ more than half of my installed apps don’t work! Apps like facebook, one drive, facebook messenger, xbox music, calendar, battery app and so on. I have a lumia 520. What do i do? I really don’t want to reset the phone.

11. Jorge H. October 28, 2014 at 6:55 am #

After installing the new update for my device Lumia 620, it doesn’t stop rebooting again and again and I barely can use any application.
    Please could anyone contact the Developers to amend this ASAP!

12. Abiola November 6, 2014 at 12:07 am #

After installing the critical update ……….most of my apps start malfunctioning and will have to be opening severally before they finally open…..Some apps even restarted my phone severally before they are opened………….this has to be fixed fast….i m using Nokia Lumia 520

13. Vandharani Durga Prasad December 23, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

sir.. i had got an critical update but its not getting installed till now, now my phone is not responding at all…

• MarBull December 26, 2014 at 2:49 am #

My 520 is updating for last 12 hours with no resond at all wtf ???

• sam November 30, 2015 at 5:21 am #

same problem i m facing now… tell me what to do? how do u over come with this ….plz help me

• raahul February 1, 2015 at 1:32 am #

same problem

14. bimbola March 5, 2015 at 1:40 am #

My 635 has been updating for the past 12 hours with no response how do I resolve this?

15. steve March 27, 2015 at 8:34 am #

When I carried out the critical update on my Nokia Lumia 635 the phone stopped working with the Bluetooth in my car had to get another phone and turn off the automatic updates