Windows 10 Update KB3140743 Brings Build to 10586.122

Microsoft today rolled out new Cumulative Update KB3140743 for Windows 10 PCs. This update brings the last Build 10586.104 up to Build 10586.122.

The company points out that there are no new OS features or security patches, but it does contain a lot of bug fixes and performance improvements. Here’s a look at installing the update and what you can expect.

WIndows 10 Cumulative update kb3140743

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3140724

Microsoft recently launched a new Windows 10 Update History page and will start showing the changelogs of each update, something that Windows 10 users have wanted for a long time now.

According to the page, this new update addresses the following:

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features or security fixes are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.

• Improved performance in video thumbnail generation, NetLogon, Windows Store, and standby power consumption.

• Improved support for devices including some wearables, displays, and printer scenarios.

• Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.

• Fixed an issue causing favorites to be lost after updates are installed.

• Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update, or allow in-app purchases.

• Improved quality of Cortana voices and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialog box.

• Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, airplane mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT, and VHD creation.

Related Article:  Windows 10 Mobile Insider Update 10586.71 Available Now

Finishing Up

While there are no noticeable changes to the UI, this update is marked as critical and contains several important stability and security fixes. It will be automatically downloaded to your PC or device, but if you want to get on top of the situation, head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

Of course, you’ll also need to reboot your PC to complete the update. Remember that you can schedule a time for the restart that works best for your situation. For more on that, read our guide on how to schedule Windows 10 Update restarts.

Restart Required

After the update process has completed, you can check out the new build number by launching the hidden quick access menu and selecting Run or by hitting Windows key + R and then type: winver and hit Enter.

When the About Windows screen comes up you’ll see that the build number has gone up a bit to 10586.122.

Windows 10 Build 10586.122

After installing this update on your Windows 10 system, let us know how things are running in the comment section below. Or for more detailed conversations make sure to hope in our free Windows 10 Forums.

43 Responses to Windows 10 Update KB3140743 Brings Build to 10586.122

1. jonne March 1, 2016 at 7:35 pm #

This update won’t install. Fails every time I try

• Brian Burgess March 1, 2016 at 8:54 pm #

Are you getting any type of error message?

• Ken March 5, 2016 at 11:42 pm #

My Windows 10 version got caught up in and endless boot cycle. My computer would get to boot screen and then say “please wait” and would not boot. I had to boot into safe mode twice now and restore from a previous point. Then when windows forces the update again the same endless “please wait.” Back to system restore. I am not sure how to correct this issue.

• Carson Doney March 15, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768) – Error 0x80070017 is the error i got and it wont even start.

2. Ziggy March 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

Just received the updates. Installed fairly quickly in comparison to previous updates. No issues thus far. Keeping fingers crossed!

3. Robin March 2, 2016 at 6:44 am #

Have always used Defender from Win8 days and nebr had any problems despite others poor reviews.

4. Joanne March 2, 2016 at 6:45 am #

apparently installed now waiting almost an hour for my desktop to load, have the background and icons nothing on the taskbar

5. tedwera March 2, 2016 at 7:52 am #

Is this a Windows 10 pro update also?

• Robin March 2, 2016 at 6:18 pm #

Yep,all versions.

6. tedwera March 2, 2016 at 8:14 am #

Getting Error – 0X80070017 after update failed

7. Don March 2, 2016 at 8:55 am #

After install update and shut down my computer wouldn’t start, only new software was the MS update! Used restore to go back to before update and it’s back up and running. I’ve never had so many problems, Windows 10 is terrible.

8. rocky March 2, 2016 at 9:29 am #

after update of kb3140743 and kb3139907 today , i can’t run gta5 with my keyboard and keypad both

something is screwed up i guess

fix the problem asap please

• rocky March 2, 2016 at 9:30 am #

keypad = xbox one pad

it is 2:29 am here.. too tired now.. sorry

9. Roger March 2, 2016 at 9:48 am #

As always update installed without a problem and thanks for the always welcome info on Groovy Post, it’s great info……..

10. DougNL March 2, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Just downloaded. Took about 10 mins including restart. Everything seems to be working fine all programmes intact.

11. Jon Perkins March 3, 2016 at 3:46 am #

Left it updating when I told it to shut down last night – came in this morning, switched it back on and after trying to complete the update it then spent nearly half an hour rolling back because “we couldn’t complete updates, undoing changes”. I looked at the Update History in Settings and the entire history has been wiped – it says no updates have been installed. However, several notifications popped up in the first twenty minutes advising me that Updates have been installed (!).

If I run winver I can see that I am still on build 10586.104

I looked in the event log and found in the Setup log: Package KB3140743 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800f0922.

I ran the MS Windows Update Troubleshooter and it told me “Service registration is missing or corrupt”, with a result status of “Not fixed”.

Having Google’d the issue it seems a very difficult problem to fix, so I’m resigning myself to the probability of having to do a clean install. My new Dell XPS at home has already required two clean reinstalls since Windows 10 came out, and is even now sitting there with two other updates relating to Office 2010 (although I use Office 365) which constantly fail to update.

Anyway, not happy. Just trying to channel my frustration into words here so that I can purge and move on. Grrr 🙁

• Jon Perkins (again) March 3, 2016 at 10:18 am #

Just an update – I got there in the end! I focussed on the “Service registration is missing…” issue, and that led me to look at the Services dialog. For some reason the Windows Update Service has become set to Manual (I didn’t touch it previously), and was not running. I set this to Automatic, started the service and re-ran the update – worked OK this time.

It was either this, or the Update Troubleshooter did indeed fix something but didn’t report it at the summary. Or…the rollback tidied something up. I’ll never know now, but I thought I would post a follow up 🙂

• Judy Miller March 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm #

Same exact scenario for me except I’m not comfortable doing a clean install on my own. If I do a new Windows 10 install, can you share what files, programs, software, etc. could be adversely affected? Any chance that if I just ignore the KB3140743 failure, a new Windows 10 update will fix the issue? Grrrr and ((nervous)).

• Brian Burgess March 3, 2016 at 3:30 pm #

Windows 10 updates can be funky depending on the type of PC you have, and the type of software installed.

You can use the Windows 10 PC Reset feature…all of your data and files WILLl be kept.

However, you’ll need to reinstall your apps.

For more on the Reset feature you can check out our guide:

Important: When doing any type of major upgrade, or, in this case a reset, backup all of your important data first!

• Judy Miller March 3, 2016 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks @BrianBurgess! Great info. FYI – I went into the Services area and found I too (like @JonPerkins) found my windows updates had reset to manual. Fixed it to automatic. Whether that helps this pesky KB3140743 failure is yet to be seen. Appreciate your help and feedback.

• Pc guy March 11, 2016 at 6:17 am #

Exact problem here. Really makes me wnat to switch to MAC, and I dont really care for MACs.

12. Teriann Shrum March 3, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Cannot create new folders in directories. Have to refresh the directory screen to see the “New Folder” I just created. When deleting files from the directories using Windows Explorer – The prompt that comes up telling the user that the files are now being deleted and sent to the Recycle Bin never shows up. I have to AGAIN refresh the directory to see the files are indeed gone.

PC is moving much slower… Mouse disappears BEHIND open windows… I did a system restore last week to remove this update got my sanity back. I am very unhappy with this update!!! I work from home and this is my job and it’s causing me more work.

13. Ziggy March 3, 2016 at 1:41 pm #

Looks like this kb update is causing quite a few issues. Some readers might be interested to follow the link provided if one of your machines is unable to boot.

@Jon Perkins: I’m putting your fix into my toolbox for future reference if the need arises. Thanks!

14. Rich March 4, 2016 at 9:13 am #

I don’t get pushed this update. For some reason my ver is still 10240. I never got pushed the fall update either (which I believe got pulled).

I’m on Windows 10 pro.

• Jon Perkins March 4, 2016 at 11:10 am #

Rich – have you tried the”Check For Updates” button in the Settings area? Despite the frustrations that are reported here and elsewhere with update problems there are a lot of bugs being fixed over time – hopefully more than the number of new bugs being introduced :<

When I have supported customers who report that updates are never applied to their copy of Windows it is usually the case that whoever supplied the computer in the first place actually installed a pirated version (which would be flagged up by the update service if it was running). I'm not saying that is what has happened with you, I'm just sharing that this can be a cause.

15. Juliann Brockman March 4, 2016 at 3:31 pm #

I am having constant issues with trying to load pictures or documents on a web site I used daily. Nothing seems to load and the icon spins but nothing happens. I have tried stopping and reloading page and still nothing. How do I fix this or roll it back and try re-installing or is this just another glitch??

• Ziggy March 4, 2016 at 6:27 pm #

@Juliann Brockman: In the past I’ve found that downloading the relevant kb can sometimes help. Follow the link provided and download the cumulative update, taking note of 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your computer.

Note that the download is about 548 megabytes. I’ve used the referenced site link for downloads before without any issues or virus concerns.

Hope this fixes your problem. Afterthought: Have you tried using a different browser to load your pictures from the web site that you are having trouble with? You might want to try that first…

16. jack star March 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm #

This update installed itself with no problems. The only change I have noticed is all my network computers now show up in network map where hey did not before. GREAT FIX thank you.

17. Phil March 6, 2016 at 9:15 am #

Still no fix for the inability to see NAS drives or other network device under newts – so still a pile of crap – glad I’ve switched main system to OSX

• Roger March 6, 2016 at 10:29 am #

I have had that happen before a couple of times and found that I had to close and re-open ‘File Explorer’……

18. Kavian March 6, 2016 at 11:42 am #

Last update must have messed my windows 10 up cause now my windows isn’t even starting…

19. Larry Wade March 7, 2016 at 12:13 am #

My main HP Pavilion p7-1240 desktop computer (which in a previous life was an 8.0 (8.1) Home Pro is still on Version 10.0 (Build 10240. 16392). It does its automatic updates once or twice a month but will have nothing to do with any updates associated with Version 1511.

My 2 older desktops that had Window 7 Home Pro OS before the upgrade (but are now plain ole Windows 10 Home) and a couple of touchscreen laptops have all upgraded to the latest updates, Version 1511 (Build 10586. 122).

I went to the HP page looking for any kind of a driver or BIOS update and there was nothing for this model. So I went to the AMD home page and got a big clue to the problem. After digging around for awhile I discovered that units with my processor, AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD 7660D HD Graphics, 3400 Mhz, and others predating ► 2013 (mine is AMI 7.04, 3/16/2012) were being offered to download a BETA Crimson Software/Driver Version: 5.301.1901.0 update with no further updates or support to be forthcoming. It appears AMD BIOS systems with a 2013 postdate or series number later than 5700 series also had a version of the Crimson Software with a new driver and WILL continue to be supported and does accept the Windows 10 version 1511 updates and new builds.

Even though it goes against my “OCD keep everything up-to-date and in-order nature,” I guess I should be very thankful that for the most part, I’m having absolutely NO problems with my Original Windows Version 10.0 Build (10240).

20. Rich March 7, 2016 at 1:21 am #

@Jon, my version is updated from Win 7-> 8-> 8.1 -> 10.
    It’s fully licenced.

Check for updates pushes other updates but not the culmulative ones. I’m assuming as I didn’t get pushed the earlier update (fall), I’m stuck on the 240 stream for the moment, but surprised I don’t get the ones advertised.

Windows Update seems to be a big mess at the moment. Can you just go to MS site and download latest updates?

I think I’m in the same situation as Larry

21. Jon Perkins March 7, 2016 at 2:36 am #

@Rich – fair enough, I just mentioned it because it is something I have dealt with before (even when the computer comes from a supposedly legit dealer). If you want to download the offline installer you can get it from (NB you need to specifically use Internet Explorer for this, the site will object if you are using something like Google Chrome). However, I suggest that you first of all check whether your “Windows Update Service” and “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” (aka BITS) services are running ans set to start automatically – if not then they can also cause the update service to fail. Finally, I also suggest that you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter which may also reveal any other problems – link is

@Kavian – you’re not the only one. Here is another blogger’s write-up of how he fixed this update when he couldn’t get it to boot afterwards:

22. Kavian March 8, 2016 at 1:54 am #

After the boot sequence, nothing comes up except a blank screen and and flashing prompt I can’t do anything with…

23. Jon Perkins March 8, 2016 at 3:15 am #

@Kavian – are you able to get it into safe mode? (press and hold the F8 button after power-up).

24. Kavian March 8, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Nope, nothing…

25. Ken March 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

Well…After another attempt at letting Microshaft do the critical update I ended up having to do a system restore (reinstall the OS). After the restore the update installed without a hitch. Seems very odd that it would work after it restored buy not before. One wouldn’t think the OS would somehow be different with the reinstall.

26. Chris March 10, 2016 at 6:17 am #

After a month of trying to install this update I still get Error 0x8e5e03fa

27. Ashley Martin March 10, 2016 at 11:57 pm #

Anyone having an issue with sound after the update? My sound quit working when I originally upgraded to 10 and it took me a month to get fixed. It appears that this update has cause my sound to go off again, but what worked last time didn’t work this time.

• Jon Perkins March 11, 2016 at 3:16 am #

@Ashley – I didn’t get a problem with sound but it did knock out my external Blu-Ray DVD writer drive. Reboots didn’t solve it, but opening the Devices window (under Settings in W10) and then disconnecting – then reconnecting – the device allowed it to automatically re-detect and install it again.

28. Carson Doney March 19, 2016 at 12:27 pm #