Windows 10 New Cumulative Update KB3124200 Available Now

Microsoft today rolled out new Cumulative Update KB3124200 for Windows 10 for PCs. Microsoft hasn’t released much information about the update other than it offers improved functionality. It also brings your build version from 10586.29 up to 10586.36.

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3124200

According to the Microsoft Support page regarding this new update:

This update offers improved functionality for Windows 10 Version 1511.

Windows 10 Version 1511 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see 3116900). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer.

As always you’ll get this latest update automatically, but if you don’t want to wait, you can grab it manually by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.

Of course, you also will need to reboot your PC to complete the update process. But you can always schedule the restart for a time that works best for you. For more on that, read our guide on how to schedule Windows 10 Update restarts.

Restart Required

After the restart, launch Run from the hidden quick access menu, type: winver and hit Enter. There you can see that your Windows 10 build number has jumped up a bit.

Windows 10 build 1058636

Today Microsoft also rolled out Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.36 which makes PCs, tablets, and Windows Phone all on the same build.

These should be the last updates we see to Windows 10 until January while the Microsoft engineers take some much earned time off for the holidays.

Related Article:  Critical Outlook Vulnerability Patched and How To Fix Empty Outlook 2013 Folder Pane

Microsoft exec Gabe Aul mentioned the information about the time off in his post on the Windows Experience blog:

This time of year many of us take the opportunity to spend time with family and take some vacation time, so the engineering team will be running at a slower pace and many of our key people who drive our flighting process will be out (including me 🙂 ) This means we won’t be releasing any new builds to Windows Insiders until January, for both PC and mobile.

9 Responses to Windows 10 New Cumulative Update KB3124200 Available Now

1. wawand December 18, 2015 at 1:20 am #

We look at the cumulative update KB 3124200 on “view your update history” there are two and both of them success. Why? My laptop is x86 based systems

2. Colin Carpenter December 18, 2015 at 3:04 am #

KB3124200 installed OK. Windows still not creating a restore point before install.
    DiskCleanup not finding any updates files to remove hence my C drive increases in size by
    5000/7000 files every time an update is installed. As usual from MS, it’s a mystery what this update does!

3. Ziggy December 18, 2015 at 5:02 pm #

All good down under. However with the previous build when I ran into some hiccups and tried to do a system restore all of them had been deleted. I no longer rely on those (though I still create them) but instead create a system image which have been a life saver.

Just a side note: I wasn’t aware that with Windows 10 the F8 key doesn’t work to enter safe mode. When my laptop failed to boot on a number of occasions it entered into the repair mode itself and fixed the problem of boot failure. I know that I could have used a repair disk, but my cd rom is bust!

4. Jeff Levy December 19, 2015 at 8:13 pm #

The major update arrived tonight. After it as completed, all my desktop shortcut files disappeared. This is particularly painful as I had a technician spend the whole day setting up the new device.

5. Brent Butler December 20, 2015 at 6:47 am #

Note that after the reboot and all of the “Cool new stuff is being installed” messages, my computer was off the network and some toolbar functions were unavailable. Another reboot cured the problems, however.

6. truthhurts December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm #

stuck in a fail loop
    need update setting bad.
    edge keeps stalling 4 edits to get this typed
    ie 11 50% cpu looks up crashs

7. Walt December 23, 2015 at 12:49 pm #

Update KB324200 takes a hours then after restarting says it failed and has to do undo changes which also takes a long time. Doesn’t indicated the problems but wants to do the same update when I shutdown or restart my computer, of course with the same result.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

8. B. Milton Cuppy, Jr. December 25, 2015 at 6:54 am #

I have inserted 2 different CD’s to retrieve archived genealogy data, one on my desk top, and one on my lap top. The results were the same. 10 formatted these disks with out asking, and there was no way to stop. On the second one, I turned off the computer as fast as I could, still too late. Any way to retrieve data on what was probably a quick format? What do I do in the future to access a CD with out formatting the damn thing???

9. Mike H December 29, 2015 at 6:43 am #

My computer installed this update last night, now when I loaded Windows 10 x64 pro it said “Insider Preview”, got a message some of my apps don’t work now, desktop wallpaper is gone, Adobe PDF was removed from my default PDF application and put back to Microsoft Edge, now I need to fix the Default program on all my client computers since Microsoft keeps pushing this EDGE Piece of Trash and override my settings how is that not illegal?!?!