Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 Available Now

Windows 10 IT2Microsoft rolled out a new cumulative update for Windows 10 on Wednesday, September 30. The update is KB3093266 which includes improvements to enhance the functionality of the new OS.

Windows 10 Update KB3093266

This update is cumulative and will only install previous updates you don’t have as explained by Microsoft on its Support Page:

Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see KB 3081448). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer.

kb3093266

There is also an important note about this update. If you install a language pack after installing this update, you’ll need to reinstall the updates again. The company recommends that if you are planning on installing a language pack, that you do it now, before installing the update.

As always, this will automatically be downloaded and installed on your Windows 10 system. Or, if you want to get in on the update right now, you can manually grab it by heading to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. It should also be noted that a restart is required to complete the update.

Remember, you can always schedule when that restart happens.

As is typical these days, Microsoft doesn’t have detailed info on what the update contains, other than “enhanced functionality”. Although, you can find which files are included in the update by downloading the CSV file. A direct link to the file provided on the support page.

I have installed it on my Dell XPS 8700 production box running Windows 10 Pro and haven’t had any issues yet. Of course, that doesn’t mean other systems out there won’t have something go awry.

Definitely leave a comment below if you have any issues with the update or notice any improvements to your system.

34 Responses to Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 Available Now

1. David September 30, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

I just installed the update. My boot time has gone from 40 – 50 seconds to more than 3 minutes and the entire system seems sluggish. I’m going to check my startup programs, etc., to see if I can find a reason, but I’m no pro and wonder what the heck is going on.

• Brian Burgess September 30, 2015 at 7:34 pm #

@David, have you tried to restart it more than once? When you reboot after first installing the update, it’s normal for it to take some more time to boot up since it’s installing the update.

2. K Cosgrove September 30, 2015 at 6:13 pm #

Update kb3093266 eliminated Bluetooth on my Surface Pro 3 except for the pen. I am going to try to uninstall it to get Bluetooth back.

3. Ziggy September 30, 2015 at 8:14 pm #

All good down under. No impact on laptop or Desktop pc.

4. solo81 September 30, 2015 at 8:35 pm #

FAIL TO INSTALL
    (KB3093266)- ERROR 0x80073712

5. vinnie September 30, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

I can’t even install the update. Just stays on 0%.

• Brian Burgess September 30, 2015 at 10:03 pm #

I’ve had that type of issue before, too. Usually more on the Windows Phone side of things, though.

If you’re not able to get it right away, just relax, it will install on its own eventually.

• Doug October 7, 2015 at 8:10 am #

I have that same error. Checking my update history, it has failed to update, daily, since Oct 1st.

• Annie December 20, 2015 at 9:44 am #

im having the same problem. How did you fix yours?

• Kevin December 23, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

I had something like this about a month ago (Nov 2015). I got it fixed. Here’s how.

On searching around a bit, I found that Windows 10 contains 2 surprising repair utilities, SFC and DISM. DISM is slower and stronger. Both can do a check of installed files. I’ve shortened the URL so you can see the page I used at http://goo.gl/MhxU3Q (case-sensitive). Both tools told me I had a broken system.

I had some trouble actually fixing anything because I don’t have my install on DVD. But by going back a couple of months in backups, I was able to get to a Windows without any detectable damage, then install all updates (and back up again, of course). This resulted in a clean system, and updates installing normally.

I now run SFC /SCANNOW on a regular basis, and always before a backup.

6. Anthony September 30, 2015 at 11:17 pm #

KB3093266 Fails to install on my Dell OptiPlex. Update process gets to 30%. Restarts, then gets caught in a restart loop. After about 3 automatic reboots W10 states update was unsuccessful. Rolls back update. Necessary to shut down the PC. Restart, from off to stop loop. Event log shows error: 0x80070003:
    Not what I need on a business PC. Fortunately, securely backed-up…

7. HB September 30, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

When I tried to update last night, it failed. I tried again and it went successful.

What I have noticed after each cumulative update, it gets more smoother as you go to programmes – and its fast as well. Maybe its the ”enhanced functionality”.

8. Paul October 1, 2015 at 2:54 am #

Installs ok then asks for reboot after the reboot it says install failed and does it again … stuck in an infinite reboot situation now

9. Wawand October 1, 2015 at 5:51 am #

I had download it but it failed to install. then automatic download again and failed again many time

10. Paul T October 1, 2015 at 6:55 am #

Failed on two very different PC’s today – Tried several fixes around to attempt to get it to install – Thanks for forcing updates on us MS esp. ones that are broken, looking around the net its failed on around half the PC’s this UD has been applied to – 10 is more like a beta than a finished product & I can’t even hide it, the update will continue to attempt to install untill MS pulls/fixes it for all eternity – Well I’ve denied Widows Update internet access for now.

• Mitchell October 14, 2015 at 10:55 pm #

you know that’s typical of ms, its just their corporate m.o. You kinda get use to being rear ended enough times, don’t worry, their get it right…………………………sooner or later :-)))))))

11. Hagal October 1, 2015 at 10:39 am #

Windows 10 Pro x64

Die Installation des folgenden Updates ist mit Fehler 0x80070002 fehlgeschlagen: Kumulatives Update für Windows 10 für x64-basierte Systeme (KB3093266)

install the following update with error 0x80070002 Failed: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266)

Winupdate and msu both install failed! Fuuu! 🙁

12. STINK BAIT October 1, 2015 at 12:56 pm #

Windows 10 broke sleep function on Dell desktop again, why does this happen to everything I have running Windows? Only Windows none of the others!

13. Ziggy October 2, 2015 at 2:41 am #

Softpedia has a direct link to the installer, which is claimed to possibly solve the problem of failed installations with this update.

14. Tom October 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

I have been unable to complete the installation of ny update on my ASUS 32-bit netbook since the first week of September. This is the typical error I receive: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3093266) – Error 0x80073712 Windows update troubleshooter variously reports failure/success in addressing the problem, but the updates fail regardless.

Also, I seem to have lost bluetooth capability (or any hint that bluetooth even exists on my system), and can no longer access ASUS Hotkey service due to a now-missing ACPI driver.

15. Graham Ledbrook October 3, 2015 at 12:59 am #

I have A medion Laptop and it seems that the cumulative updates change the keyboard and touchpad drivers. This is evident when trying to enter my password in that I can only type 5 characters at a time have to wait while they appear then type next 5.Plugging a USB keyboard worked OK
    Seaching the internet I found a German web site that indicated that I needed to go to device manager uninstall the touch pad drivers then reboot and all is fixed. The latest cumulative update also stopped my touchpad and keyboard from working and the wireless also stopped. ( An external mouse worked ok) Uninstalled the wireless and touchpad drivers and restarted and they were again working OK.
    I am dreading the next update

16. Anthony October 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm #

I posted 9/30 with difficulty installing W10 update KB3093266. (Update failure with restart loop)
    I quickly resolved issue by running SFC /SCANNOW at the command prompt with Admin privileges. It found errors, corrected them, then reattempted update. KB3093266 properly installed without incident.
    Good until the next crisis!

• DavidO October 8, 2015 at 8:47 am #

Anthony I did what you did and it found some corrupt files, and repaired them, but the install for 266 will still not install and goes back to restart looping.
      Thanks anway

17. Rawad Alfaqeeh October 4, 2015 at 4:14 am #

I hope this update fix Cortana issues
    guys do u have problems with Cortana or just me?

18. Jermaine October 4, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

This update cause my surface pro 3 to no longer recognize my type cover. I took it to the Microsoft store this morning and they mentioned they had several instances of this happening yesterday.

19. Kevin-O October 5, 2015 at 8:28 am #

Fails to install (multiple retries) win Error 0x80004005

20. Kelly October 7, 2015 at 12:48 am #

Before I installed this Windows update, another of my software failed to update (Articulate Storyline 2 Update 7: 1 Build 509.1408). After this Windows update KB3093266, and no other changes to my system, the Storyline software succeeded its update. So at least for this case, my software (which is an online-course design tool) was apparently dependent on Windows’ “enhanced functionality”.

21. wawand October 7, 2015 at 7:37 am #

thank you very much, I had download it from Softpedia,
    and it had been succesfully installed.

22. DavidO October 8, 2015 at 8:30 am #

failed to in stall and loops to a reboot

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266).

Regards.

23. Torya October 8, 2015 at 9:28 pm #

Help me… I try to install and I get this:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266) – Error 0x80004005

What am I doing wrong 🙁

24. Emad October 11, 2015 at 7:57 am #

I have tried several times to download the update without success. When I go to “Setting>Update & Security>Windows Update” I keep on getting “Retry”. Furthermore the Solitaire Collection will not load.

25. Wanda S October 12, 2015 at 5:42 pm #

The update KB3093266 updated fine on PC but afterwards some of my 3rd party software I have used for years was no longer available…I deleted the update and am now able to use software…any reason why this would happen

26. wade October 13, 2015 at 9:22 am #

Microsoft is pushing themselves out of the office and technical computing game, what a shame, that’s what made them. I guess it’s time to go back to linux. I’m really tired of coming back to my PC ready to start working only to find that a windows update, that doesn’t even bother to document what it is updating, has installed itself and screwed up and application or my entire PC. I can’t describe how many times this has happened. Congratulations MS, once again your over reach into the customers own home has, once again, made your product unusable and less flexible. First you kill your smart phone unit, now goes the PC unit… so stupid.