A Look at the New Color Options Coming to Windows 10

Microsoft this week released its first Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10525 since the official launch of Windows 10 on July 29th. One of the notable changed features is new color options that allows you to set the default color for the Start menu, Action Center, Taskbar, and Title bars.

While this new feature is still early in development, we thought you’d like to get an idea of what’s coming to Windows 10 in future updates.

Note: Changing color options is a feature currently in Windows 10, but the new color option changes more of the UI — namely the Title bars on apps and other system windows.

Color Options in Windows 10 Build 10525

If you upgraded to Windows 10, you’ve probably notices that the default color scheme of title bars is white, and it looks rather bland. These new color options coming to Windows 10, will let you personalize the OS a bit more to your liking.

Currently the title bars in Windows 10 are white -- rather bland

Currently the title bars in Windows 10 are white — rather bland

In this current build, we go to Settings > Personalization > Colors. Then turn off the Automatically pick an accent color for my background option. That will bring up a pallet of accent colors you can choose from. When you select a color, you do get a bit of a preview as shown below.

Color Settings

But to really put it to the test, you’ll want to check it out in the OS. Launch some windows and see how things look. For example, I changed the color to a aqua-green color, and this is how the title bar on the Windows Store looks.

The title bars on your open windows can look less bland, like this example of the Windows store

In the settings you can make the color you choose show on Start, taskbar and action center as well as make them transparent. Both of these are enabled by default.

Related Article:  How to Configure and Use Windows 10 Action Center

In this example I went with a darker green and this is how the Start menu looks.

Start Menu Color

And here’s an example of a full desktop with a green color selected.

windows 10 desktop green

Again, keep in mind that this is the first version of the new color features, and will be refined and enhanced in new preview builds before being released to the general public.

Do you like what you see so far? Let us know in the comment section below, or continue the conversation in the Windows 10 Forums.

19 Responses to A Look at the New Color Options Coming to Windows 10

1. Ziggy August 20, 2015 at 1:16 am #

Take your pick: gaudy, lurid, loud, harsh, tawdry, vulgar, unattractive, bilious. Hmm! I think I’ll go for…

• Jan September 4, 2015 at 6:21 pm #

True, but it’s better than white, less white, and almost no white (aka white, grey, and dark grey), no? It is a welcome move in the right direction, but I wish Microsoft would recognize that not everyone likes very strong colors. Why not just give us a full palate, have lots of colors to choose and a slider to make them lighter or darker?

2. Calvin Christian August 20, 2015 at 7:18 am #

I’ve had this option since I upgraded, I have black buttons, blue frame, green text and so on. I downloaded my 10 the first week in August and set it up like this soon after. The one thing I can’t do that I’ve read is suppose to be in 10 is to resize the start menu, I can make it full screen and back to what it was to start with but when I grab the side or bottom it will not move.

• DigiLive NL August 20, 2015 at 10:31 am #

In my case on a tablet:

Doing this with your fingers is difficult. The first time I wanted to resize, I had to hookup the mouse.

BTW. You have to grab and drag the right side to show more or less columns and the TOP side to show more or less rows.

(I’ve never been able to grab the right side with my finger, only with a mouse.)

3. DigiLive NL August 20, 2015 at 7:21 am #

I’m not sure right now which build of windows 10 I have right now, but I did an official w7 to w10 pro upgrade and installed all updates that came after it, but…

These options for coloring the taskbar, etc. are all available to me.

Ps. I’m not applying insider updates.

4. Joe L August 20, 2015 at 7:47 am #

It’s easy to find out. Press the windows button and the letter R. In the pop up box type in, winver, hit enter and your window version will pop up.
    Joe L

• DigiLive NL August 20, 2015 at 7:57 am #

I wasn’t near my computer earlier 😉
      It says version 10.0 build 10240.

The coloring options always heve been available to me since I upgraded to W10.
      As well as in the Home edition as the Pro edition.

5. Brian Burgess August 20, 2015 at 10:18 am #

The ability to change the Title bars is what’s new in this build.

• DigiLive NL August 20, 2015 at 10:36 am #

Thanks for the clarification.
      Indeed my title bars don’t color, the other things do.

Still a nice post, though.
      It helps lots of people getting to know W10.

• Calvin Christian August 20, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Have you been able to resize the start menu in 10?

• DigiLive NL August 20, 2015 at 11:13 am #

As I mentioned in my reply to your post, yes.
        Mine is now 6 columns wide and 4 to 5 rows high.

I do remember something like the size is bound to your screensize.
        If so… My startmenu is about 70% of the screen wide and about 90% high.

BTW: This is pretty off topic. (But it may be a suggestion for another groovy post ;))

6. prettydarkskinnedgirkl August 20, 2015 at 3:08 pm #

I’m SOOO glad that this feature is coming! I searched for a couple of hours trying to find a way to get rid of the plain, drab, white title bars and whatnot like I could in Win7 and was disappointed when there didn’t seem to be a way. Yet another reason I really need 10525 to hurry up and release to the masses already.

7. Learjet August 20, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

I’ve kind of grown to like the default white title bars. It looks clean and elegant. Some of Windows color opions are downright garrish. I wouLd appreciate a nice grayish color a’ la iOS. If only Stardock’s Window Blinds would hurry and support Windows 10, that would be possible like it is with Windows 7 and 8.1.

8. Jan August 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

Well, although I’m inclined to agree with Ziggy because almost all the colors seem to be of jewel-tone intensity (reminiscent of Metro), which I rather dislike, this is still a step in the right direction. Now how about giving us a color palette such as there used to be way back when, when we could change title bars and the rest at will and even click on “show more colors” and get a huge selection, with even the option–with a sliding bar over to the right–of making any particular color paler or stronger.

By the way, to each his own, but the plain white bars, like that of the detestable Word 2013, do nothing for me and reek of laziness. Avoiding the labor of programming to allow a range of colors in the name of being in with the latest fad in minimalism?

9. Jan August 20, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

I just checked out WindowBlinds and notice that it offers per-application skinning. Does anyone know if it would work on Word 2013 in a computer running Windows 7?

10. Sonjia September 4, 2015 at 8:30 am #

I’ve been able to change the color on everything but my title bar. I’m not a insider, but I would like to have my title bar changed also. Does anyone know how I can do that or have we already got this update and it does not change the title bar.

11. Sonjia September 4, 2015 at 10:26 am #

I hope you will put in the newsletter when Win build 10525 comes as an update. I want my title bars changed.

12. Sonjia November 13, 2015 at 6:54 am #

I wish Microsoft would go back to Win8.1 and allow you to choose from a color palette, or you type in the color number you want. The colors they all are ridiculous. I hate them. I use a picture on a colored background, and I would like to be able to choose a color that would match colors in my picture. I sure was hoping they would allow us to choose our own colors from a color palette.

• Jan November 13, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

I’m with you, Sonjia! Actually, I am more radical about my desktop. I wish they would let us arrange to have a slideshow of any pictures we like and be able to specify how long before the desktop changes to the next picture–or shuffle them! This was a major consideration for me in deciding to keep using Win7 until they stop supporting it altogether. Of course, I am also concerned about a few old programs that I am still managing to use, but will probably have to find replacements for when & if I go to Win10.