Microsoft Set to Release New Version of Windows RT in September

Windows 10 is getting all of the hype this week, since build 10240 was released to Windows Insiders yesterday. However, there are still indeed Windows RT devices out there and users have been wondering if there would be an update for it as well. The answer is yes, and it even has a name.

Windows 8.1 RT Update 3

Yesterday, Gabe Aul announced on Twitter that Windows RT is indeed getting an update, and it will be called Windows 8.1 Update 3. He also said it will be available in September.

While we don’t know the specifics of what the update will include, this is good news for those of us who actually have a Windows RT device.

I have to admit, I was an early adopter, and bought the first generation Surface RT with a Type keyboard. I figured Windows RT would be a bigger thing than it turned out to be, but this news tells us that Microsoft isn’t giving up on it completely…at least not yet.

If you are one of the few who actually does have an RT device, here are some tips and tricks you might be interested in:

Do you have a Windows RT device still? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts on the RT update news.

, ,

12 Responses to Microsoft Set to Release New Version of Windows RT in September

1. Bob Dey July 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

I too have an original RT device and still think it is one of the best tablet operating systems out there. I also have a Surface Pro 3 and use it every day but the RT tablet can do 90% of what needs to be done in my business. I had thoughts of equipping my field people with these gems but I was worried about future support. I still go to job sites and see the dependence on IPads with all the IT added functionality and just think to myself that all this is built into the Surface, even at the low end. Long live RT.

2. Vadim July 16, 2015 at 9:24 pm #

@Brian – you think Microsoft is going to keep RT around? I have an original Surface RT but stopped using it as it was pretty slow and I felt like Microsoft just wasn’t putting R&D behind it. Kinda an after-thought compared to my iPad.

Granted, still prefer it over my Kindle but that’s not saying much heheheh

• Brian Burgess July 16, 2015 at 10:07 pm #

Well, for now anyway. The new update 3 for RT is coming in September. I guess we will have to wait and see.

3. Rahul July 17, 2015 at 6:45 pm #

Hey Brian,

This is really great news for RT users but I’m little bit dissappointed that we’ll have to wait until September.

4. Alan July 19, 2015 at 4:59 am #

I’ve had my ASUS Windows RT tablet for over 2 years and really enjoy it. I just wish I could download Microsoft Health onto it. I love the operating system for tablet use. I’ve owned both iOS and Android tablets and there is no comparison IMHO. My RT tablet picked up my printers from my home network and prints with ease. The other two devices required jumping through hoops to print.

5. Dan B July 20, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

Great news. I have always thought (and valued how much) the RT could be the perfect thin client. For business and entertainment you have office multimedia windows store games on the go … And remote desktop which works fantastically to connect to a more powerful (or simply fully fledged) version of windows. Wish my customers laptop was as thin and let me RDP to my workstation as easily (since that is all i need from the huge and heavy laptop they gave me to work remotely).

6. deanna January 5, 2016 at 10:57 pm #

I’m getting ready to upgrade to Microsoft 10 or are we really supposed to call it Rt upgrade 3? Anyone I am wondering before I go for it on my RT. has anyone had any major issues with the upgrade?

7. deanna January 5, 2016 at 10:59 pm #

I’m excited about upgrading my Surface RT to Windows 10 or the RT upgrade 3, which ever you prefer to call it. Has anyone had any major issues? Any advice before I do it?

8. Dan Whitehouse March 23, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

Hi Brian
    Really happy to see this being launched. Being someone who bought the very first Windows Surface i’m really excited about this update.

9. Deanna March 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm #

I too have the original surface with Windows RT and am VERY HAPPY about the update and all the upgrades, but September seems like forever!!!!

10. Roy August 26, 2016 at 1:00 am #

This is a lovely laptop. Finally, it’s release date is been told. Thanks a lot for the information. I really appreciate it.

11. Zoheb November 27, 2016 at 6:48 pm #

I don’t think they released any in September, did they?