Microsoft Launches Cumulative Update for Windows 10 KB3176493

Microsoft this week launched a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1511 this week. It includes improvements and fixes for functionality.

KB3176493

If you’re still running the version 1151, you’ll want to make sure to get this latest update as it also includes several security updates.

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3177356 MS16-095: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: August 9, 2016
  • 3177358 MS16-096: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: August 9, 2016
  • 3177393 MS16-097: Security update for Microsoft graphics component: August 9, 2016
  • 3178466 MS16-098: Security update for kernel mode drivers: August 9, 2016
  • 3178465 MS16-101: Security update for Windows authentication methods: August 9, 2016
  • 3182248 MS16-102: Security update for Microsoft Windows PDF library: August 9, 2016
  • 3182332 MS16-103: Security update for ActiveSyncProvider: August 9, 2016

You should get this automatically. But to get this latest update and stay ahead of the game, head to Settings > Windows Update and check for updates.

For a full list of the updates included head to this Microsoft page.

16 Responses to Microsoft Launches Cumulative Update for Windows 10 KB3176493

1. holdum333 August 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm #

Hi Brian! You recommended Settings > Windows Update and check for updates and stay ahead of the game. Why should I do that??Won’t MS check for and down load the latest updates?
    Also, I would like to add a tip here to your blog.
    You can type Reliability Monitor in your search bar and you will see all the windows updates that MS has installed. That’s a nice feature. It will also show you how your PC is performing.
    PS I read all your blogs. Thanks for the great information Brian! Windows 10 forum is a great place to go if you have any W10 problems!

2. Mike August 14, 2016 at 9:17 am #

Unfortunately this update also caused my network adapter to quit working. After trying all the methods I could find online including restore to before the update – no luck getting it working. Installed Linux – dual boot – and the connection works fine on both the ethernet and wireless. Any suggestions on fixing this problem?

3. holdum333 August 14, 2016 at 12:18 pm #

Hi Did you check to see if there was a driver update for your adapter??Strange that restoring to before the windows update did not solve your issue. I would check your manufacture for a update for your adapter . It’s best to have a back up image on a external drive on hand, but I would have thought restoring to a earlier time would have solved your issue.

• Mike August 14, 2016 at 1:19 pm #

yes downloaded from Intel then ran it in win 10. Didn’t help. Being this is a weekend I cannot get ahold of anyone in silicon valley that might be able to help (I lived there for decades) and know a lot of techs. So I guess I’ll have to try them on Monday.

• Steve Krause August 14, 2016 at 11:03 pm #

Heya Mike – is your adapter gone or does it just not work? I assume you’ve disabled it and reenabled it?

• Mike August 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm #

yeah I did that, also it works in Linux albeit a little slower according to speedtest.
          The issue appears to affect both the ethernet and the wlan card. The ethernet light is on at connection point and the wireless bars are full. Netgear genie shows a link from the router but not through to the computer. In other words – no connection.

• Mike August 15, 2016 at 7:36 am #

In hindsight, win 10 default setting for downloading driver software is automatic. In win 7 its no-never. To prevent others from having this problem I suggest changing the system/hardware/device installation setting to NO.

4. holdum333 August 14, 2016 at 2:58 pm #

Hi! Good luck ! Post back when you find a solution! I copied this from Brian’s blog above!

“If you have any problems with this update, leave a comment below, or check out our Windows 10 Forum.”

5. holdum333 August 14, 2016 at 9:38 pm #

Heya Mike! I suppose you will have found a solution before my above link is approved by a moderator.
    Well I tried my best my friend. Some of us don’t work on week ends it seems LMAO!

6. Mike August 15, 2016 at 9:57 am #

Finally got somewhere. Contacted Intel and after a few minutes research they found out my wlan card and ethernet were not supported by win 10 anymore. So he suggested I contact microsoft to see if I can roll back to win 7 or download and try the win 8 drivers – which is what I will do next.

• Mike August 15, 2016 at 11:11 am #

win 8 drivers dont work, next call microsoft – listen to computer message wait 5 mins get connected to live person – wait 10 mins – talk to live person – find out tech support is the person we need – wait 10 mins – talk to tech – 15 mins to find out Dell is the company I should be calling!!!!!!!

In the meantime I’m getting used to the Linux OS and might actually just give up on win 10

7. Mike August 15, 2016 at 11:27 am #

Dell website shows this computer is not being tested for win 10 and warns that some things my not work correctly. Granted this computer is a bit old, however so am I, and its beefed up so I like it and I liked win 10. But as everything else in life, change comes whether we like it or not so I will just improvise and deal with Linux.

8. holdum333 August 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks for the update Mike. Sorry your rig doesn’t support W10. I really like W10. I might have messed some thing, but was wondering if you considered trying a external internet adapter. Dell says some other things may not work also however. Anyway you have solved the problem!

• Mike August 16, 2016 at 7:16 am #

The reason I loaded Linux was to see if the adapter was at fault or if it was Win 10. I’ve moved three times since I got this computer and have to go through a bunch of stuff to see if I still have the win 7 disc. Rolling back to win 7 will fix the problem and I do have connection in Linux. One thing I noticed is that my ethernet connection in Linux is extremely slow whereas my wireless is fine. So the fix might be to back up the entire hard drive reformat (without the extra Linux partition) and install win 7 again.

• Mike August 25, 2016 at 8:18 am #

Update – I bought a Panda Wireless. Installed drivers per instruction, still didn’t work. However their tech support was 5 star and we were able to fix the problem and I am now on the computer that was affected. Note, this company is located in Los Gatos not India or China and you apparently can only buy the unit on Amazon (at least that’s where I found it). The fix for the Panda was also the fix for the built in adapter.

9. holdum333 August 25, 2016 at 8:54 am #

Hey Mike! Great. Happy to hear you are on back on the web! MS updated my wireless adapter while i was on the forum last night and it took me a hour to figure it out and get back on the forum. Not happy with the unwanted adapter update, but all is cool this morning.